This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is anyone aware of a film version of Napoli that might be available - other than the early 80s video of NYCB dancing that ballet and others (narrated by Peter Martins)?

I am also hopeful of finding a Danish television production of Etudes, filmed in the late late 70s and broadcast, I believe, throughout Europe.

Napoli was released as a commercial video in the early 1980s, but I don't know if it's still available. There were several Napolis filmed for Danish TV -- I have excerpts from four of them in the late 1970s and '80s!

I have to say I've seen that Danish TV "Etudes" and I thought it was awful! Except for Ib Andersen and Niels Kehlet as the male soloists -- but the corps..... well, it's often used as an example of the state of the company's classical dancing in the mid-1970s.

The only video of "Napoli" that I've seen was filmed in the mid-80s, with Arne Villumsen. It was shown on the French TV a few years ago (a commercial channel showed some excellent ballet videos from time to time around 2 AM- I never understood why, but it really was worth using one's VCR). That video probably isn't available commercially, but perhaps it can be found in libraries?

Guest David M

Hello,

I did have a video of Napoli, which i taped from television in the early 1980's danced by the Scottish Ballet, which was shown on BBC 2 in the UK , but alas my house was broken into and that was one of the many video tapes that were stolen and you cannot get a copy anywhere of that transmission.

If the BBC in the UK transmitt ballet i feel they should be made ready available to buy, they must have so many ballets in their archives which ballet lovers would just love to get their hands on.

David