This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Napoli, and Etudes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sonora

Sonora

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:32 PM

Is anyone aware of a film version of Napoli that might be available - other than the early 80s video of NYCB dancing that ballet and others (narrated by Peter Martins)?

I am also hopeful of finding a Danish television production of Etudes, filmed in the late late 70s and broadcast, I believe, throughout Europe.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,258 posts

Posted 08 August 2001 - 11:40 PM

Napoli was released as a commercial video in the early 1980s, but I don't know if it's still available. There were several Napolis filmed for Danish TV -- I have excerpts from four of them in the late 1970s and '80s!

I have to say I've seen that Danish TV "Etudes" and I thought it was awful! Except for Ib Andersen and Niels Kehlet as the male soloists -- but the corps..... well, it's often used as an example of the state of the company's classical dancing in the mid-1970s.

#3 Sonora

Sonora

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 12:33 AM

Thank you. I'd still be very interested to see that Etudes! If you have any tips on how to get hold of it, I would be grateful.

#4 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 10 August 2001 - 03:47 AM

The only video of "Napoli" that I've seen was filmed in the mid-80s, with Arne Villumsen. It was shown on the French TV a few years ago (a commercial channel showed some excellent ballet videos from time to time around 2 AM- I never understood why, but it really was worth using one's VCR). That video probably isn't available commercially, but perhaps it can be found in libraries?

#5 Guest_David M_*

Guest_David M_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 11 August 2001 - 05:32 AM

Hello,

I did have a video of Napoli, which i taped from television in the early 1980's danced by the Scottish Ballet, which was shown on BBC 2 in the UK , but alas my house was broken into and that was one of the many video tapes that were stolen and you cannot get a copy anywhere of that transmission.

If the BBC in the UK transmitt ballet i feel they should be made ready available to buy, they must have so many ballets in their archives which ballet lovers would just love to get their hands on.

David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):