This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Joannie Rochette's "Firebird"

dirac

Saw the long programs from Cup of China on ESPN last night, and while I was pleased to see Irina Slutskaya back (and looking good, everything considered), I was impressed by Joannie Rochette of Canada’s “Firebird” program. Very fast and crisp, good jumps, good choreography suited to the music – and Stravinsky's music is somewhat tricky for skating. Rochette is a little too cheery for the Firebird, but I liked her a lot and will be looking for her and this program later in the season.

Yes, I saw her in Paris and she was very good, the only error was a two footed landing on her opening combo, a triple toe-ttriple toe. I think this firebird is better than the ones I know, Midori Ito and Tonya Kwatowski, both at 1996 worlds in the SP.

Very fresh and interesting choreo. I'm curious of knowing which one the judges will choose at Canadians Nationals if both Joannie Rochette and Cynthia Phaneuf are flawess.