5 replies to this topic

#1 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 02:01 PM

Saw the long programs from Cup of China on ESPN last night, and while I was pleased to see Irina Slutskaya back (and looking good, everything considered), I was impressed by Joannie Rochette of Canada’s “Firebird” program. Very fast and crisp, good jumps, good choreography suited to the music – and Stravinsky's music is somewhat tricky for skating. Rochette is a little too cheery for the Firebird, but I liked her a lot and will be looking for her and this program later in the season.

#2 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:54 PM

I enjoyed this, too -- and reports are she was even better in Paris (Eric Bompard trophy)--which I think will be on ESPN next week.

#3 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 05:57 PM

Some of her moves looked a teeny bit recycled from previous Firebirds-on-skates, but she still looked very fresh. What with this and Jeffrey Buttle’s skate – which was wonderful —the Canadians are starting to look very good.

#4 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:19 PM

Yes, I saw her in Paris and she was very good, the only error was a two footed landing on her opening combo, a triple toe-ttriple toe. I think this firebird is better than the ones I know, Midori Ito and Tonya Kwatowski, both at 1996 worlds in the SP.
Very fresh and interesting choreo. I'm curious of knowing which one the judges will choose at Canadians Nationals if both Joannie Rochette and Cynthia Phaneuf are flawess.

#5 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,099 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:32 PM

ESPN finally got around to showing the Paris competition, and she was as good as reported. (They also showed the Grand Prix final, and she looked tired, but then so did everybody, understandably.)

#6 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 10,585 posts

Posted 23 January 2005 - 10:49 PM

I was able to download a tiny version of her Canadian Nationals performance of Firebird, and in spite of one tight landing, it was magnificent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):