This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

"The Surrender" by Toni Bentley

BW, the book Toni Bentley reviewed in the TBR is Meredith Daneman's biography of Margot Fonteyn. It's a wonderful review and convinced me I should read the book. I can't resist quoting from Toni's last paragraph: "Fonteyn's ashes were not interred at Westminster Abbey as many thought they should be, but rather, as she instructed, at the foot of Tito's tomb in an ill-kept cemetery outside Panama City. Hers is the smallest stone, Daneman reports, in the entire cemetery. Dame Margot Fonteyn literally took her humility to the grave."

Bentley has been a wonderful writer since her days in the NYCB corps. That's why I bought and read "The Surrender." I found it disappointing because, if you'll forgive me, she examined her subject in too much depth. But even so, there were parts early in the book which were worth reading. She is currently working on a biography of Lincoln Kirstein. It should be great! :excl:

I have a copy of “The Surrender,” too, although I haven’t started it yet. A glance-through indicates that it’s actually not that bad, but can’t decide that till I’m finished. Bentley would seem a very logical choice to review a dance biography for NYTBR, and I enjoyed her article. Like Farrell Fan, I'm looking forward to the Kirstein bio -- it should be great!

Thank you Farrell Fan and dirac, I apologize for my remarks. I do know that she's written other things. I shouldn't have been so abrupt with my comments. Just because I don't care for someone's autobiographical accounts doesn't mean I should discount her writing talents. :excl: