This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Does anyone know if a video of the Bolshoi's Ivan the Terrible is available? I think it was filmed in the '70's and starred a remarkable dancer in the title role confused.gif . If I'm not mistaken Bessmertnova danced Anastasia. The performance has it's over the top moments, but without them it wouldn't be the Bolshoi wink.gif .

w/out sounding self-absorbed, on pp. 551-52 of my book, ballet101, there is a list of 3 tapes of 'ivan the t': 2 complete (though one of these is somewhat abridged) and one offering only act 1. these date from 1990, 1988 (the tape's release date; the ballet was filmed in '77) and 1991 (the single-act tape).

bessmertnova is in the '77 and '90 perfs. the former opposite yuri vladimirov, the title role's originator, the latter opposite irek mukhamedov. the one-act offering is led by alexander vetrov and maria bylova. (i think the mukhamedov & bessmertnova tape was released by spectacor, as part of the 'bolshoi at the bolshoi' series, if mem. serves. and i don't think that label is still in business.

[ March 08, 2002, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: rg ]