This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Music and Dance of the Jewish Wedding

Mindy Aloff's Letter from New York this week in DanceView times is about

Music and Dance of the Jewish Wedding

Still yet another hope-I-never-knew-I-had that the evening satisfied was to see a “Dance of Anger” for a pair of dolled-up, tight-lipped mothers-in-law (played by Ms. Borts and Ms. Domergue-Zilberberg) who, while keeping strict time in a miniature contradanse, managed to insult one another with a small yet effective repertory of cold shoulders, hatchet profiles, and a baker’s dozen of hand gestures that translate more or less as, “Who the Hell do you think you are?” Happily, the “Dance of Anger” was immediately followed by a “Dance of Peace,” during which the in-laws patch up their differences without having to touch up their make-up. Another sleepy-eyed guest (embodied by dancer Steven Lee Weintraub, now associated with the Hubbard Street Dance Company) performed a bottle dance, with a bottle about 20 inches in height balanced in the deeply indented crown of his hat. When he managed to sink to the floor and stretch out on his back while keeping the bottle in position, I thought, “Nu, it’s not so bad that you can’t afford a ticket to see Harvey Fierstein as Tevye in ‘Fiddler on the Roof.’ Here’s the real McCoynik.” Klezmer bassist and cimbalist Stuart Brotman and Klezmer violinist Deborah Strauss also contributed expertise.