This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

DEVIL'S HOLIDAY

post-848-1100560822_thumb.jpg

Following Cincinnati Ballet's restaging of DEVIL'S HOLIDAY last year and the current restaging of the same fragments by the Royal Ballet this month, the attached photo might be of some interest. It shows, left to right, F. Franklin, A.Danilova and G. Zorich as "The Young Lover," "The [Old Lord's] Daughter," and "the Fiance," respectively.

When I recently showed it to David Vaughan, he said he'd not seen it before and that the trio's pose was "so Fred."

This was a bit before my time--but I would love to see it. The rest of the original cast included Marc Platoff (Platt) and Nathalie Krassovska. Grace Roberts wrote the following of the performance:

"Alexxandra Danilova gave a delightful account of the Daughter. Alicia Markova occasionally performed this role. Perfect technically, her interpretation lacked the exquisite emotion of Danilova's. Frederic Franklin had in the Beggar a role that for suitability and charm were not equalled in his repertoire until the advent of 'Rodeo'"

regrading sandi k's wondering about a choreographer today who could 'arrange' dancers in a similarly beguiling way, i'd suggest Christopher Wheeldon and tho i have less 'info' to go by, from what little i've seen, i'd say Brian Reeder.

in the old days there were choreographers esp. known for the beauty of their 'groupings' - perrot was one often praised for this talent. i am a sucker for artful groupings myself and wish i saw more of them on stages today.