This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Anthony Dowell

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 James Wilkie

James Wilkie

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 03:34 PM

I was wondering if anyone could help me in finding a video copy Anthony Dowell in Ashton's 1964 production of The Sleeping Beauty. As there is a wonderful solo that Ashton created for Dowell that I would like to learn. :cool:

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 29 June 2001 - 03:53 PM

James, if you find one, please let me know :cool: You might be able to find that solo, though, in another way. In the late 1970s there was a Christmas broadcast of Sleeping Beauty with David Wall, and I think it was the same solos. Since this was televised, someone might have it.

Good luck!

#3 James Wilkie

James Wilkie

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 12:06 PM

Thank you Alexandra I shall let you know if I have any luck.
James :cool:

#4 Ann

Ann

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 05:27 PM

James/Alexandra
We've discussed this solo recently I think (or perhaps in was on Ballet.Co). Surely this is the solo danced by Zoltan Solymosi on the recent Royal Ballet video of SB (with Viviana Durante as Aurora)? I seem to remember saying that it was the only time I had liked Solymosi.

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 08:22 PM

Ann, I haven't seen that video, so I don't know. Thanks for the info -- I don't think we discussed it here. Does anyone else remember? (It may be by MacMillan. I believe he did a third act solo as well, as there's one in the ABT production.)

#6 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 09:56 PM

Jane, where in the production does he do it? I do have the video (although I don't much like ZS's mugging in the grand pas.)
I also don't remember Ashton getting any choreographic credit....I really dislike Macmillan's messing around with the grand pas choreography....I'll go watch it again if you tell me where to look----

thanks!

#7 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 30 June 2001 - 10:09 PM

Wait! Which solo are we talking about? I assumed (perhaps rashly) that James was referring to an interpolated "modern" solo in Act II. Ashton did choreograph a male solo for Act III for Michael Somes. (Very classical, very simple, very beautiful; it was also in the Danish production). I wasn't aware that Dowell danced this Act III solo, nor that it had been filmed. (Learn that one too, James, if you can find it. :cool: )

#8 James Wilkie

James Wilkie

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 04:46 AM

Alexandra I would also be very interested to see the solo that Ashton did for Somes. Do you know of a video recording of it? I also have a copy of the SB with Zolymosi I shall also have a look.

#9 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 10:15 AM

James, I'm almost certain the Act III variation was never videoed.

#10 Ann

Ann

• PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2001 - 05:48 PM

James/Juliet/Alexandra:
I've now watched my video of the RB's 'Beauty' (1996?)and the solo I'm referring to takes place in Act II at the end of the hunting scene and just before the 'vision' scene. Prince Florimund is alone and sad and he dances this beautiful slow solo to music that I ought to recognize. Although the credits at the end mention only Petipa choreography with 'additions' by Ashton and MacMillan, the piece looks very Ashtonian to me. It's certainly far more lyrical than any Petipa solo created for a man that I've ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):