This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Julia Bolshakova - Future Superstar?

Here's a name to keep in mind: JULIA BOLSHAKOVA.

The "star" of the Vaganova Academy's Class of 2004, Bolshakova made her solo-role debut last night (Nov. 7 '04), dancing Queen of the Dryads in Don Q. The reports in the Russian media and chat rooms is that Bolshakova managed to upstage the evening's Kitri, Olesya Novikova, who herself is only three years out of school!

I can attest to the beauty and promise of Bolshakova, having seen her last June, as Nikiya in the Vaganova Acad graduation performance of "Shades." She is a long-limbed stunner. Remember the photo-in-profile of Olga Spessivtseva as Giselle, Act II? THAT is the stylized, long-necked look of Bolshakova. [Here's hoping against hope that, somehow, Bolshakova will be included on one of the upcoming Kirov-Mariinsky tours to Wash, DC.]

The Vaganova Academy appears to be a bottomless treasure chest, consistently producing exquisite dancers, year after year.

Is she related to Natalia Bolshakova?

Cygnet, I don't know the answer. 'Bolshakov' is not an unusual family name, so I wouldn't assume....maybe Marc or someone else knows? Also -- and here I show my naivete in delicate matters -- I would think that a daughter of Natalia Bolshakova would bear the family name of the father (???). Or perhaps she is a niece of the former Kirov ballerina, rather than a daughter?

p.s. - I should have mentioned in my first post that Julia Bolshakova also bears a strong resemblance to another prodigious recent-graduate...Polina Semyonova of the Bolshoi Academy, who is now a principal with Malakhov's troupe in Berlin. Very long & slender limbs, long swan-like neck, incredibly thin physique, lyrical in style.

I saw Bolshakova in Detroit as Florine, and the first thing I thought was, STAR. She was a little rough around the edges, but overall her dancing had this energy and charisma that the Aurora of that afternoon, Ekaterina Osmolkina, did not have. From my seat she seemed like an extremely beautiful lady too.

Thank you, Akimova. Bolshakova made her debut as Giselle a couple of days ago but had a really 'rough going' with the technicalities of Act I, according to family. She's very young & will probably grow into the role in the coming months.

Golub's debut, a week earlier, was more felicitous. I would bet that we'll be seeing both Bolshakova & Golub as Giselle in Wash, DC, this summer. The Mariinsky seems to be 'rushing' the Giselle debuts to prepare them for the summer tour.