• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 November 2000 - 02:57 PM

I have a question, and I hope someone can help me out...If I receive a video in PAL or secam form, would that mean that I would need a "multi-version" VCR? I'm wondering if these kinds of VCRs are sold in Japan, as well? Also, what is the difference between PAL and secam? Thanks so much for your help.

#2 Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 November 2000 - 06:10 PM

To answer to your question : I think you need a multi system VCR, and also a compatible TV and then, you can play PAL or SECAM. PAL is a system who exists in England, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, etc....And SECAM is French, Russian (ME-SECAM), Polish, ....PAL and SECAM are very near systems,it's just a colour problem between them. NTSC is really different.

#3 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 November 2000 - 04:16 AM

Terry, you'll definitely need a multi-standard video player (and, eventually, TV). PAL, SECAM, NTSC are different color standards. PAL is used in Western Europe (except France where they have SECAM). Eastern Europe uses ME-SECAM, yet another type of SECAM. Japan and USA have different versions of NTSC.

French SECAM can be played on PAL videos, although you'll only get a black and white reproduction. NTSC is indeed completely different.

But don't worry, with a good multi-standard video machine you can play/record almost any sort of tape you want.

#4 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 24 November 2000 - 05:47 PM

Is S-VHS (or Super VHS) used with any video standard other than NTSC? I've been using it instead of ordinary VHS for years because the sharper image is such an advantage when the frame shows the whole stage, or most of it, with lots of dancers. And when I make a copy tape, the result is better for having been made from a better original. Yes, I'm composing a letter to Santa Claus, and I'm wondering what to ask for...

#5 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 25 November 2000 - 03:02 AM

Jack,
Yes, Super-VHS is used in all the color standards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):