This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Martine Van Hamel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 05 May 1999 - 10:05 AM

Ah, I remember Martine's Lilac Fairy. That was back in my balletomane days, when I'd actually indulge in boquet-tossing. One of my prize bits of ballet memorabilia is a photo a friend took of Martine's curtain call as Lilac, holding a boquet I'd tossed her, which she later autographed for me. I remember that performance well; no flowers for Baryshnikov or Makarova, just Martine! Another prized possession is a pair of her toe shes, autographed, but that's another story.

I believe it was in describing Martine in this Messel production that Arlene Croce came up with her great line about how all the Lilac Fairy needs is a wand and some space to bourree...

#17 Francis Timlin

Francis Timlin

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 May 1999 - 03:09 PM

Martine Van Hamel was still performing with Netherlands Dance Theatre 3 as recently as last year. I saw here in several works here in Seattle and she was radiant, strong and attention-riveting. The same qualities she always brought to bear on her "state occasion" Myrthe performances at ABT and on the Makarova/Baryshnikov video. NDT 3 should be on the list of anyone interested in what can be accomplished by dancers in their 50s and 60s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):