This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ayupova, Dumchenko & V. Ivanova - casting news

Does anybody know why Zhanna Ayupova is cast only once (a Chopiniana on 10 november) during the entire first three months of the season? I hope that she is OK. I had not heard about any injuries.

Far more positive news...it's great to see that Maya Dumchenko is being cast quite often in a number of ballets during the late Oct/early Nov timeframe, while the 'main' (most often used) soloists are on tour. Another plus: finally a solo role for Veronika Ivanova -- Myrthe in Giselle, on Nov. 27! Ivanova has been dormant way too long.

Ayupova is now living in Helsinki with her family.

Yes it will be interesting to see Veronika Ivanova again. She usually dances at the Mariinsky only in August.

There are too many fine dancers in different states of dormancy in the company, since the casting is so relentlessly affixed to the core favorites. When I go to the Kirov nowadays I expect to hear a chorus of "I'm in with the In Crowd" coming from the stage. The exclusivity of so much of the casting is making me look at the company differently, I'm afraid.

There are too many fine dancers in different states of dormancy in the company, since the casting is so relentlessly affixed to the core favorites. 

Thanks for the info on Zhanna, Thalictum. I hope her diminished appearances

are her choice, and not about the Maryinsky fading her to black. She's classically pure with alot of experience and still in her prime. Her example is still needed.