This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Galina Mezentseva

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#46 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 08:36 PM

It's interesting that Mezensteva does not translate for Western audiences. She continues to be one of the most revered Kirov ballerinas among current Kirov dancers: Veronika Part in a recent interview cited her as a favorite, or even her most favorite.

#47 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

Veronika Part in a recent interview cited her as a favorite, or even her most favorite.

(Ears perking up) Which Part interview? In what publication?

The last time I saw GM live was with a little group at the Pace University theater downtown. The program was made up of the usual pas de deux done at galas. Obviously in a group of 2nd and 3rd tier Russian dancers, GM stood out as the class of the field, despite being twice the age of some of the other dancers. But she also stood out for her knowledge of stage craft, and yes, the soul she brought to the stage. For GM didn't perform as if she was on the stage at Pace, but as if she was at the Met, La Scala or the Maryinsky. She's not my type of dancer, but she had my respect and I can see why many people find her so powerful. And maybe that quality is hard to come trough on videos.

#48 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 01:18 AM

[QUOTE]Another thing, somebody a page back was impressed with GM's "real tears" in the Giselle video. Well I was puzzled by those same tears. Pardon my French but aren't we supposed to be crying, rather than she?[QUOTE]

As the poster that mentioned those tears (and by the way I referred to them to illustrate her immersion in the role; I didn't say I was impressed by them). Don't you think that any woman who had just discovered that her lover was a two-timing rat would be crying at the very least?

#49 Herman Stevens

Herman Stevens

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:34 AM

In real life? Sure. Or she could kick him out straight away. But Giselle is a work of art, and what's going on in her mind is supposed to be expressed in art, so as to have that peculiar impact only art can have, IMO.

In real life a dead woman doesn't rise from the grave to dance with Willies either.

You know, those tears were no big deal to me, either way, better or worse. As I said I was just a little puzzled. But I would never consider it a plus, since there are many very great artists who do not cry "on the show", and their performance is not colder for that.

BTW Albrecht is not a two-timing rat, but a two-timing count. Big difference. :P

#50 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 04:34 AM

Don't you think that any woman who had just discovered that her lover was a two-timing rat would be crying at the very least?

But ballet is a stylized art that doesn't make its impact through the use of realistic effects (at least not in classical works like Giselle). When I see such added touches -- they crop up occasionally, like Odette and Siegfried kissing in the last act -- I find that instead of moving me they jar me. It's out of context with the rest of the production.

#51 Nikia

Nikia

• Inactive Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 06:00 AM

Hmm... Now you made me so curious that I just must see that Galina's Giselle on DVD.
The person who wrote couple of posts above is absolutely correct. Mezentseva on stage and on tape are two different things. When she was on stage one doesn't see her physical imperfections, she becomes a true queen...no, an enchantress.
And also her arms is something else: long, very long. And thin and expressive. They sing! Those of you who saw Uliana Lopatkina know what I mean. They definitely share something in common. Perhaps it is the ability to engage, to capture, to draw us into their mystical world. And when they do, we don't stand a chance to break out of it until the show is over. One leaves the theater with real tear and a bitter sweet notion that one touched something outer worldly, the mystery of true art.

#52 Thalictum

Thalictum

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:08 AM

Part's remarks didn't get into the final copy; the journalist has them on tape, however.

#53 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:25 AM

I don't think anyone here is aboloshing freedom of opinion. :P No one minds what opinion one has. All they mind is how one expresses it.

This discussion has made me immensely curious about Mezentseva. I never saw her, live or on video. I'd love to see her and get my own impression. Which are considered her best video performances?

#54 jose manuel

jose manuel

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 09:42 AM

hi

video performances

giselle 1983 wuth konstantin zaklinsky

swan lake 1986 with konstantin zaklinsky

pas de quatre from "night of classical ballet" 1981

all wonderful!!!!!

jose manuel

#55 jose manuel

jose manuel

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:18 PM

sorry if I hurt someone´s feelings.

although I maintain my opinion,probably I was too harsh expressing them

jose manuel (mezentseva fan)

#56 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

Well! all this talk has sent me scurrying back to my Mezentseva tapes of "Swan Lake" and "Giselle" once again. :sweating: I do not believe I saw her 'live', if I did, I do not recall. In defense of forming an opinion from a 'taped performance'---I think this is a valid way of assessing a dancer, we are not talking 'excerpts', but two long ballets. She would not make the list of my favorite Odettes or Giselles. As Odette, I felt she never made a connection with her Prince, and as already pointed out, her technique , her extensions in particular, were not fluid, which surprised me---it could have been an old recording from the l950's and not l986.

There is something that did impress me about this tape----and I hope someone (rg?) can enlighten me----In Act IV who were the two soloist white swans? The closing credits are in Russian.

#57 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,461 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 03:30 PM

i'm sure some others better versed in the russian language better can say this more authoritatively but the credits on my DVD for "Two Swans" read, to be best of my ability to transliterate: GALINA RICHAGOVA & NATALIA PAVLOVA
a listing that preceeds this for the TWO SWANS, and listed as BIG SWANS reads as follows:
LUBOV GALINSKAYA
TATIANA BOGDANOVA
TATIANA RUSANOVA
GALINA YABLONSKAYA
ELENA DMITRIEVA
but as noted, the previously listed dancers are given credit as 'Two Swans" and so i assume these are the dancers you inquired about.

#58 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 11:25 AM

Thanks, again, rg---I did look it up in your book first.......

#59 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 12:07 PM

IMO Natalya Pavlova was one of the most excellent corps members from that generation. For me, she just stood out as an exemplary corps member. Another corps member who was Pavlova's technical twin was Tamara Mirzhoyan, who wasn't in this tape. They can be dancing seen together in the following: the Grand Pas Classique in Act 2 of the Komleva 'Bayadere' tape from 1977, the Esmeralda pas de six with Yevteyeva in the Kirov in London 1988 tape, the Classic Ballet Night tape (same ballet with Komleva leading the divertissement), the Little Swans in the Tchyentchikova/Zaklinsky 'Swan Lake' taped at Wolf Trap Farm (1986 tour), and Mezentseva's Giselle (1982) tape in Act 1 among the villagers'
and the first line of Wilis in Act 2.

#60 eunheejun

eunheejun

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:37 PM

Was mesmerized by this video as an 11 year-old,
still get goosebumps from her ballonne in Act1 and develope in Act2.
Myrtha is also the best I have ever seen.

Like Jose said, GM is an epitome of classical ballet and lyricism.
She only needs to pause for one second to present the ultimate beauty
when those acrobatic, super-flexible, technique-driven, and overly emotional
ballet dancers today have to turn and jump around like rythmic gymnasts do to achieve less than half of what she does with one ethereal jete.

I think the best of Ms. Mezentseva is though-despite all the incredible qualities she has-her delicate and graceful lines. It's not something you can achieve from being just thin (and I find it offending when people say that the only quality that stands out in her is being "thin"). Just wonder how she does it!!!

I noticed people here saying that GM is one of those dancers people either get or don't. I am so blessed that I belong to the former group. A big part of my definiton of beauty was formed by her Giselle.

Cheers,

Eun Hee

Edited by eunheejun, 21 October 2004 - 09:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):