This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Kaitlyn GillilandWhat's the hoopla all about?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:37 PM

I know she started her apprenticeship after the Winter season, unlike the others chosen. So maybe that's why we haven't seen her.

#17 BalletIsLife

BalletIsLife

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 May 2005 - 07:32 PM

I hope that this is not considered gossip, It is first hand information. Please delete if inappropriate.

Kaitlyn Gilliland was nursing a knee injury at the SAB workshop in 2004, which required major surgery over the summer and many months of recovery. She began carefully taking classes again at SAB and with NYCB just recently.

It is another sad injury story, but I am anxiously awaiting her return to the stage later this year!

****Edited to add - Kaitlyn was seen frequently watching from the second ring "SAB section" of the State Theater during the Nutcracker and Winter Seasons****

Edited by BalletIsLife, 14 May 2005 - 07:35 PM.

#18 Guest_nycdog_*

Guest_nycdog_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:54 AM

Sorry to hear that Kaitlyn had an injury. Let's hope she comes back stronger than ever.

Kaitlyn Gilliland appeared along with Tiler Peck and another girl named Rachel (don't know the last name) in the "Webcast of February 2, 2004, Centennial Seminar" at the NYC Ballet website.

New York City Ballet website

I see in the roster that Tiler Peck became a member of the corps de ballet in February 2005. Tiler does an extended solo at minute 13, in Part 2.

Kaitlyn does a solo at minute 29 of Part 2.

Kaitlyn stands out from the others because she's very tall and elegant. I watched this video and thought that I 'liked the tall girl' way more than the other dancers, then I found out it was Kaitlyn! :wub:

Edited by Ari, 15 May 2005 - 10:12 AM.

#19 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 07:25 AM

The above post was edited to remove a violation of our video link policy. The post also violated the directive at the official web site of the New York City Ballet not to download these videos, but to watch them on the site.

#20 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:20 AM

I also edited nycdog's post because it violated our policy, enunciated here over two weeks ago, that says that any links to videos may be only to the home page of the official website of a professional company. You can indicated in your post how to navigate the site to find the video, but you may only link to the home page itself.

For the video that nycdog referred to, click Education Resources -> Presentations -> Seminars -> Click here for webcasts of centennial seminars -> Click HERE for Webcast of February 2, 2004, Centennial Seminar, Part 2.

#21 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:26 AM

Slightly off-topic, but as the discussion has gone this way--
Borree in Russian, as in so many roles, strikes me as the Watts of this period-- that is to say, a scourge, and dancing so OFTEN and so hard to AVOID!  :green:  Her palpable tension, blatant technical inadequacies, and thinly veiled look of terror ruin nearly every part in which she appears. That said, I thought Gilliland had a lovely look of repose and can see the comparisons to both Farrell (young, of course) and Kirkland.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tempusfugit

I couldn't agree more on Borree. Her frequent casting is a puzzle to me. And yes, she's hard to avoid.

On a more positive note I look forward
to seeing Ms Gilliland, she sounds like a very appealing performer

Richard

#22 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:27 AM

Kaitlyn Gilliland appeared along with Tiler Peck and another girl named Rachel (don't know the last name) in the "Webcast of February 2, 2004, Centennial Seminar"  at the NYC Ballet website.

It's Rachel Piskin.
Thank you for drawing this video to my attention. I just finished watching Part I, and was totally enthralled. These girls are wonderful representatives of the Balanchine style. At their advanced student level (this was filmed during the Balanchine 100 celebration) they already dance like full-fledged company members.

#23 Dansuer85

Dansuer85

• PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Thank you for the link to the videos on NYCB's website! I had no idea they were there and i'm very much enjoying them! I must say I really enjoyed Tyler Peck(sp?). The others were nice, but just something about her and maybe it was her variation too, but she was very enjoyable to watch.

#24 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:57 PM

Imagine being chosen as an Apprentice and then getting injured. What a sad situation! Hope she's dancing again soon and that we'll get to make her acquaintance onstage.

#25 Guest_nycdog_*

Guest_nycdog_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 May 2005 - 06:33 PM

Tiler Peck is very beautiful and certainly a talented dancer, she reminds me of Sarah Jessica Parker except much better looking. One thing I noticed in the video at the NYCB website, next to Kay Mazzo Tiler appears small, which would seem impossible since Mazzo is not exactly the Jolly Green Giant. I read somewhere that Tiler is 4' 10" ?

#26 bobbi

bobbi

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 03:52 AM

I remember reading in the Fall 2004 SAB newsletter that she will begin her apprenticeship in 2005, which was delayed due to injury. But as I recall with pleasure from the Symphony in Space Wall-to-Wall Balancine event, she's one of those dancers who will be worth the wait. . . Let's wish her well.

#27 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:05 AM

[N]ext to Kay Mazzo Tiler appears small, which would seem impossible since Mazzo is not exactly the Jolly Green Giant.  I read somewhere that Tiler is 4' 10" ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For whatever it's worth, Mazzo is wearing heals in the video.

#28 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:00 AM

[N]ext to Kay Mazzo Tiler appears small, which would seem impossible since Mazzo is not exactly the Jolly Green Giant.  I read somewhere that Tiler is 4' 10" ?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For whatever it's worth, Mazzo is wearing heals in the video.

I know Dance Spirit magazine lists 4'10" as her height at age 14 in 2003, but a lot can happen height-wise to a young girl between the ages of 14 and 16. :FIREdevil:

In watching Part One of the "Balanchine & Ballet Technique" webcast yesterday where Suki Schorer stands next to Tiler Peck as she has her demonstrate steps in center, they are about the same height. Suki Schorer is 5'1" tall and she is wearing a very low heel, no more than 1", in this video. So, that would make Miss Peck about 5'2", I'd say.

#29 aspirant

aspirant

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

Peck is a teeny, teeny thing. 5'2" is a generous estimate IMHO.

There seems to be a rash of apprentice to injury happening. Surely some of it is due to the unforgiving Nutcracker machine but both LeCrone and Laurent suffered time off [snip].

Edited by hockeyfan228, 16 May 2005 - 08:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):