This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Michael Somes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:46 PM

Earlier this year, quite by chance, I met Wendy Somes...it was a very brief encounter. Yesterday, I mentioned this to a friend of mine and she said: "Michael Somes was probably the handsomest man ever to set foot on a ballet stage." Well, that set me looking on-line for some photos of him but I couldn't come up with much...some small black & whites in costumes for various ballets and one picture of him in his later years. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding pictures of Somes on the net?

Thanks!
Oberon

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:58 PM

Search for "Michael Somes" (use quotation marks) at www.corbis.com and filter the results to be from "Arts" - you'll get 4 pictures, one is a full face studio portrait, and another is a wonderful Symphonic Variations shot.

#3 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:07 PM

Thanks, Leigh...I'll check it out!

#4 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:09 PM

In Fonteyn's autobiography she writes that Somes was so good looking that whichever company he guested with, all the corps de ballet girls regularly fell in love with him!

#5 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:48 PM

I remember being quite stunned by photos of him--but this was long before the internet, and I don't know what's available online. I did see him in person when he was older and still, obviously, a handsome man--but nothing like those photos which were sort of "wow"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):