• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:46 PM

Earlier this year, quite by chance, I met Wendy Somes...it was a very brief encounter. Yesterday, I mentioned this to a friend of mine and she said: "Michael Somes was probably the handsomest man ever to set foot on a ballet stage." Well, that set me looking on-line for some photos of him but I couldn't come up with much...some small black & whites in costumes for various ballets and one picture of him in his later years. Does anyone have any suggestions for finding pictures of Somes on the net?

Thanks!
Oberon

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 12:58 PM

Search for "Michael Somes" (use quotation marks) at www.corbis.com and filter the results to be from "Arts" - you'll get 4 pictures, one is a full face studio portrait, and another is a wonderful Symphonic Variations shot.

#3 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 15 October 2004 - 01:07 PM

Thanks, Leigh...I'll check it out!

#4 Ostrich

Ostrich

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 26 October 2004 - 12:09 PM

In Fonteyn's autobiography she writes that Somes was so good looking that whichever company he guested with, all the corps de ballet girls regularly fell in love with him!

#5 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:48 PM

I remember being quite stunned by photos of him--but this was long before the internet, and I don't know what's available online. I did see him in person when he was older and still, obviously, a handsome man--but nothing like those photos which were sort of "wow"!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):