This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kirov in Washington D.C. Jan 2005

Thanks for posting this, Ari. Just as I figured, with the Cinderellas. I wonder why Andrian Fadeev isn't dancing in this tour (prince or anything else)? [NOTE: I have since found out that Fadeev is more-than-busy back in St. Petersburg, as a 'student' in a choreographer's class at the Vaganova Academy AND dancing in his home theater...AND enjoying being a first-time daddy, too!]

Many excellent ballerinas dance the 'Ugly' Stepmother and sisters, e.g., Yulia Makhalina as the 'Ugly' Stepmother in the premiere stole the whole show, IMO. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see her here? Also of note were Viktoria Teryoshkina as an 'ugly' sister, Sofia Gumerova as a hooker during the Prince's travels, and Ti-En Yu as one of the dancing instructors! Hopefully we'll see all of these dancers here...but it's sure going to be hard for me to sit through Ratmansky's dopey ballroom scene...especially after having just seen the Frederick Ashton version in London. [One of the rare instances in which the Kirov version of a ballet is NOT the best version, in my book. Far from it, in fact. :D ]

Natalia, any thoughts on why Pavlenko isn't cast in either Cinderella or the gala?

nysusan, Daria Pavlenko is busy in St. Petersburg. Until further notice she is bound to dance her debut in "Manon" on January 9 (which was in fact already supposed to happen a couple of months back, but just didn't because of lack of rehearsal time). She never danced "Cinderella", only rehearsed it. For the remainder, who will dance what and when... well, keep in mind, until the curtain raises, you're never sure :D .

I never expected to see Pavlenko dance Cinderella in Washington; the real question for me is why she was scrubbed from La Valse after being announced for weeks on the Kennedy Center site, and how/why these galas have been permitted to turn into the Lopatkina/Sarafanov show. Couldn't Pavlenko at least dance one of the performances she was scheduled for?

Also Gumerova dances all three Rubies as the pin up; I like her in the role but what happened to Dumchenko, Amosova, and dare I say it -- Pavlenko? All three are wonderful in the role as well.

Yes I would like to see Makhalina too in that role if she is as good as you, Natalia, say she is. I've never seen the Ratmansky Cinderella.

I just heard that Vishneva's "evening" is not happening in January; perhaps not for months. It hasn't yet reached beyond the gleam in the eye stage.

I never expected to see Pavlenko dance Cinderella in Washington; the real question for me is why she was scrubbed from La Valse after being announced for weeks on the Kennedy Center site, and how/why these galas have been permitted to turn into the Lopatkina/Sarafanov show.  Couldn't Pavlenko at least dance one of the performances she was scheduled for?

As Kirov watchers should know, what's being announced in big or small fonts on cast lists of foreign theatres doesn't necessarily reflect what's actually going to happen. No matter what the Kennedy Center might have been saying, there was never any question that Pavlenko would be dancing in Washington.... but who knows, everything is still possible.... :)

Any possibility that Veronika Part will rejoin her Mariinsky colleagues in Washington? She's still listed as a soloist in the Kirov roster although she's been dancing for the ABT the past two years ...

I doubt it, as Part will be either on tour w/ ABT in some US city or in the midst of rehearsals for the Kennedy Center run of ABT, which follows on the heels of the Kirov Opera & Ballet season.

I have just heard that it is now Sheshina rather than Samova who will be Sarafanov's partner in the Corsaire pas de deux in Washington. Vishneva has been so vocal to the powers-that-be about not wanting to dance with him that I have a slight suspicision she may not do the Rubies. Absolutely no hard info on that fact, however.

I have just heard that it is now Sheshina rather than Samova who will be Sarafanov's partner in the Corsaire pas de deux in Washington.  Vishneva has been so vocal to the powers-that-be about not wanting to dance with him that I have a slight suspicision she may not do the Rubies.  Absolutely no hard info on that fact, however.

Thalictum, sorry for this...and I do appreciate your great enthusiasm...BUT

Could you please refrain from gossip? Alexandra has already mentioned this elsewhere. If you could please re-phrase this as "In my opinion..." or "I think, perhaps..." rather than as 'fact', it would be OK.

Thanks for understanding!

- NN

p.s. - New Fact (since I posted the above) - Vishnyova sustained a serious foot injury late last week & won't be dancing at home or at the Baden-Baden tour in late December. Let's all collectively hold our breaths and wish Vishnyova a speedy recovery....like REALLY fast, so that she can appear in DC -- Sarafanov or no Sarafanov!

Well the Kirov seems to have decided that it makes sense to let people see what a strong roster they actually possess. In Washington, La Valse will be danced alternately by Lopatkina, Pavlenko, and Kondaurova. This certainly gives people a reason to go more than once. Now if they could democratize the rest of the gala casting we might have a real gala and I might actually go after all.

Updated casting for the "Kirov Spectacular" ballet portions. Indeed, Pavlenko dances one La Valse -- the 2nd one, on the 19th. Also interestingly, it's still Somova and Sarafanov dancing Corsaire pdd.

THE KIROV SPECTACULAR (from Kennedy Center website on Dec. 29, 2004):

LA VALSE : Soloists: Uliana Lopatkina (1/18), Daria Pavlenko (1/19), and Ekaterina Kondaurova (1/22); Shishov Vladimir (1/18 & 22) and Andrey Merkuriev (1/19); Death: Soslan Kulaev; Three dancers: Alexandra Iosifidi, Ekaterina Kondaurova, Daria Suhokurova; First Pas de Deux: Natalya Sologub and Andrey Merkuriev (1/18), Maksim Khrebtov (1/19 & 22); Second Pas de Deux: Yulia Kasenkova, Vasily Scherbakov; Third Pas de Deux: Sofya Gumerova, Maksim Zuzin.

LE CORSAIRE PAS DE DEUX: Alina Somova, Leonid Sarafanov.

RUBIES: Soloists: Diana Vishneva (1/18 & 19), Leonid Sarafanov (1/18 & 19), Sofya Gumerova, Irina Golub (1/22), Anton Korsakov (1/22); Four Dancers: Maksim Khrebtov, Vasily Scherbakov, Anton Lukovkin, Alexey Negviga.

THE DYING SWAN: Uliana Lopatkina.

The latest word on casting, kindly sent to me by Michael Sasser of the Kennedy Center's Dance Programming office:

NOTE: Casting is subject to change.

January 11, 2004 - 7:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Music by Sergei Prokofiev

Libretto by Nikolai Volkov (after Charles Perraut's fairytale)

Musical Director - Valery Gergiev

Conductor - Mikhail Agrest

Choreography by Alexei Ratmansky

Set design by Ilia Utkin and Yevgeny Monakhov

Costumes by Elena Markovskay

Lighting design by Gleb Filshtinsky

Musical Preparation by Natalia Merkulova

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .NATALIA SOLOGUB

The Prince . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ANDREI MERKURIEV

Stepmother . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRMA NIORADZE

Khudyshka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VICTORIA TERESHKINA

Kubyshka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ELENA SHESHINA

Fairy-Tramp . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ELENA BAZHENOVA

Ciderella's Mother . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .MARIA KOLOMIITSEVA

Cinderella's Father . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IGOR PETROV

Spring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ANTON LUKOVKIN

Summer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DMITRY PYKHACHEV

Autumn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .MAXIM ZIUZIN

Winter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IVAN POPOV

Dance Teachers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .RYU JI YEON

ALEXEI SEMENOV

Hairdressers/Searchers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IGOR NIKITIN

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Female Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRINA GOLUB

Male Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ISLOM BAIMORADOW

The Four Seasons Suite and Guests at the Ball - artists of the Ballet

Solo in the orchestra:

Oleg Rylatko and Eric Lee

The performance has two intermissions

January 12, 2004 - 7:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRINA GOLUB

The Prince . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ANDREI MERKURIEV

Stepmother . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRMA NIORADZE

Khudyshka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRINA ZHELONKINA

Kubyshka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ELENA SHESHINA

Fairy-Tramp . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ELENA BAZHENOVA

Ciderella's Mother . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .MARIA KOLOMIITSEVA

Cinderella's Father . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IGOR PETROV

Spring . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ANTON LUKOVKIN

Summer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DMITRY PYKHACHEV

Autumn . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .MAXIM ZIUZIN

Winter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IVAN POPOV

Dance Teachers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .KSENIA DUBROVINA

ISLOM BAIMURADOV

Hairdressers/Searchers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IGOR NIKITIN

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Female Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VICTORIA TERESHKINA

Male Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ISLOM BAIMURADOW

Solo in the orchestra:

January 13, 2004 - 7:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DIANA VISHNEVA

The Prince . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IGOR KOLB

Khudyshka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VICTORIA TERESHKINA

Dance Teachers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .RYU JI YEON

ALEXEI SEMENOV

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Female Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRINA GOLUB

Male Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ISLOM BAIMURADOW

Solo in the orchestra:

January 14, 2004 - 7:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .NATALIA SOLOGUB

The Prince . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ANDREI MERKURIEV

Stepmother . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ALEXANDRA IOSIFIDI

Dance Teachers . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .KSENIA DUBROVINA

ISLOM BAIMURADOV

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Male Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ISLOM BAIMURADOV

Solo in the orchestra:

January 15, 2004 - 1:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRINA GOLUB

The Prince . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ANDREI MERKURIEV

Khudyshka . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IRINA ZHELONKINA

ALEXEI SEMENOV

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Female Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .VICTORIA TERESHKINA

Male Dance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ISLOM BAIMURADOV

Solo in the orchestra:

January 15, 2004 - 7:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .DIANA VISHNEVA

The Prince . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .IGOR KOLB

Stepmother . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .ALEXANDRA IOSIFIDI

ISLOM BAIMURADOV

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Solo in the orchestra:

(2 violins)

January 16, 2004 - 1:30 p.m.

CINDERELLA

Ballet in three acts

Cinderella . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .NATALIA SOLOGUB

ALEXEI SEMENOV . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

ALEXEI NEDVIGA

FYODOR MURASHOV

Solo in the orchestra:

(2 violins)