This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Noshing near the Wang CenterWhere to get a great cheap sandwich

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 06:20 PM

Of course this is only peripherally related to ballet, but it never hurts to know :wacko:

I did a lightning visit to Boston this weekend to see the Bolshoi. I went to school there during the Mesozoic Era, so going back, it seemed like a familiar room where someone moved all the furniture. Needless to say, I didn't have a clue where to get a bite to eat.

On Sunday, I wandered towards Chinatown on Washington Street and less than a block or so from the theater saw a sign front for Vietnamese sandwiches (Banh Mi). I'm a sucker for Vietnamese food and I've been meaning to try these for ages. So suitcase in hand, I made a beeline for it.

Oh. my.

Heaven on a baguette for around three bucks. The sandwich has your choice of meat (being a Banh Mi novice, I went for chicken teriyaki but what is traditional is the dac biet - barbequed pork and Vietnamese pate) with vinegar spiked cucumber, scallions and carrots and hot peppers at your discretion (I asked for just a little and got a satisfying kick rather than an eye-tearing wallop)

It's a takeout joint only, but what a great cheap eat. I loved seeing the Bolshoi's Don Q, but I really want another Banh Mi! (You can get them in NYC as well, but for me it's a hike to Chinatown) I think the shop is near Washington and Kneeland Streets.

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 09:56 PM

There are lots of great places for a wonderful bowl of Pho, also!

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 08:39 AM

Since this was my very first time in Boston, I had to do the touristy thing -- Jacob Werth's German restaurant. Excellent sauerkraut & not awfully expensive. Fun atmosphere, too.

Question for Mme. Hermine: My husband felt right at home at the Wang, we overheard so much Russian being spoken among audience members up in the Mezzanine. Does Boston have as high a Russian population as New York City/Brooklyn? Or...did the NYC Russians all head-up to Boston just to see their beloved Bolshoi?

#4 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:07 AM

Yes, there was definitely a lot of Russian spoken at the performance. And I think Jacob Wirth is right near Pho Pasteur and Banh Mi. So depending on your mood dinner can be sauerbraten or Bo Luc Lac!

I have to schedule another visit back with some time to rediscover the city. And eat more sandwiches :(

#5 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 09:09 AM

there's a big Russian community in boston, natasha, no surprise he felt at home! jacob wirth's used to have the greatest prime rib special, i remember, and their food is generally pretty good. if you went to the other corner, not toward tremont street, that was also an excellent place for the pho i mentioned :) . sounds like you all had a great time!

that's it, leigh, you and i are going to have to do a vietnamese food tour of boston.........and i shall sneak in my great vice, the chinese bakeries...mmmmm : :(

#6 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 10:31 AM

Hey, please count me in, guys! Anyone else going to Boston for the Boston Ballet's Sleeping Beauty in May? Cheers.

#7 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 11:10 AM

Not to mention La Sylphide next March, don't forget!!!!

and there's a good Balanchine program coming up.......

there are TONS of good places to get food around the theatre district, quick and relatively inexpensive. I find it a wonderful place to wander....and there is always The Pink Slipper sign on a side street which I gave high marks for Special! (No, not pink slipper as in ballet.... :( )

#8 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 05:02 PM

I was planning on the Balanchine evening, but I think the Sox will have to lose the playoffs for me to go (the night of the 23 is all reserved up in Boston in case the first game of the World Series is there.)

Natalia - I'm planning for La Sylphide - Sorella Englund is setting it, and she is an amazing Madge. I am curious to see if she can set a production at the level she can perform in it.

This means Banh Mi in March :(

#9 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 12 October 2004 - 06:01 PM

I used to get Vietnamese food in that part of town. It's good to know it's still available!

#10 bbfan

bbfan

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 05:33 AM

alas, the Pho Pasteur on Stuart St closed abruptly (it seemed) last spring. One week we ate there, a couple of weeks later it was closed and being converted to an Indian restaurant.

* as you read in you will find there is still a Pho Pasteur in the area, on Washington Street - hooray *

#11 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,763 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:13 AM

Leigh I seem to remember that Sorella Englund set La Sylphide on the San Francisco Ballet in 1986, though I didn't see it, maybe someone did?

Sorry to hear about Pho Pasteur closing, I used to actually get pho take out from there, they would give me a bag with each ingredient individually packaged and I would have to assemble it at home. But there should be plenty of places for a good bowl of pho within walking distance. I remember there was a vegetarian place too that was very good, just don't remember streets, etc., as we would just go there when we came across it! and did i happen to mention chinese bakeries? :(

#12 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 06:17 AM

Wait a minute! On Monday, I saw a Pho Pasteur near the Wang, as we rode around in a Trolley Bus tour. Maybe there's more than one Pho in Bo?

#13 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:06 AM

Yes, I'm sure it's there right off Washington. I walked into it, but I didn't think I had time for a sit-down meal before I had to catch my bus. It was quite open, and quite busy!

#14 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:07 AM

Mmm...Vietnamese sandwiches. The bbq is good, but I like the Vietnamese ham the best. Be sure to try that kind. :(

#15 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 13 October 2004 - 07:28 AM

Gee, I'm hungry. Maybe we should ask Alexandra to open a 'Cheap-Eats-Near-Theaters' forum? I'm traipsin' over to the Royal Ballet forum to post about cheap-eats near the Royal Opera House, for the 'Sylvia' trip. That is, if any 'cheap eats' exist in the Covent Garden-Soho area of London. Is there anything 'cheap' in London?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):