This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The 'Universal Music & VI' label will be releasing a pricey ($70-plus) 3-disc DVD set titled "The Magic of Russian Ballet," on October 12, for the U.S. market. The ballets include recent Kirov productions of 'Petrouchka,' 'Scheherazade' & 'The Firebird' (released earlier in continental Europe), PLUS 'The Nutcracker.' I cannot tell from the promo material, if this is the recent Chemyakin version but it very well could be, as the 'classic' Vainonen version by the Kirov was recently re-released as a DVD on another label.

Also about to be released in the US: Roland Petit's 'Clavigo,' a full-length ballet danced by the POB. TDK label.

Finally, the Kultur label will be releasing a new 'Don Quixote' on November 23. No further information given...so this one remains a mystery until further notice.

Alas, the 'Magic of Russian Ballet' boxed set from Universal/Phillips is simply a re-packaging of three already-released DVDs in the Universal/Decca/Phillips catalogue: Return of the Firebird (the Andris Liepa project of 1993); Kirov's Soviet 'Nutcracker' starring Lezhnina; and the 'Essential Ballet' compilation.

Similarly, the Kultur 'Don Q' to be released on DVD on November 23 is the old Kirov VHS starring Terekhova & Ruzimatov. A great performance but, again, not new.

At least the POB-TDK 'Clavigo' WILL be new (to North American audiences). We also have the recent releases of the two wonderful Royal Ballet/Margot Fonteyn DVDs...so not all is bad news on the North American ballet DVD front.

Amazon.com now lists a DVD entitled "The Kirov Celebrates Nijinsky", which seems to be Scheherezade/Firebird/Polovtsian Dances/SPectre DVD that Natalia thought was initially being released in the Oct 12 boxed set. This DVD is scheduled for release in the United States on January 25, 2005, with an extremely attractive list price of $19.99 (Amazon is currently selling it on pre-order for 13.99).

From the Dance Books description: "Filmed at the Chatelet Theatre in Paris in 2002, the casts of these four Michel Fokine ballets include Svetlana Zakharova and Faroukh Ruzimatov (Sheherazade), Zhanna Ayupova and Igor Kolb (Le Spectre de la Rose), and Diana Vishneva and Andrei Yakovlev (The Firebird)." A nice DVD to have indeed.

That's good to know, art076! Thanks.

I, too, can highly recommend, this DVD which I purchased in Europe a few months back. You forgot to mention the rarity on the program: 'Polovetsian Dances' starring Polina Rassadina & (I think) Islom Baimuratov.

I wonder when America will get another great DVD that's available in Europe, the Bolshoi's 'Pharaoh's Daughter'?

- NN

Sorry if I'm a bit clueless :lol: , but this is what I understood:

"Alas, the 'Magic of Russian Ballet' boxed set from Universal/Phillips is simply a re-packaging of three already-released DVDs in the Universal/Decca/Phillips catalogue: Return of the Firebird (the Andris Liepa project of 1993); Kirov's Soviet 'Nutcracker' starring Lezhnina; and the 'Essential Ballet' compilation."

That is just putting together several recordings into one DVD package?

"Amazon.com now lists a DVD entitled "The Kirov Celebrates Nijinsky", which seems to be Scheherezade/Firebird/Polovtsian Dances/SPectre DVD that Natalia thought was initially being released in the Oct 12 boxed set. This DVD is scheduled for release in the United States on January 25, 2005, with an extremely attractive list price of $19.99 (Amazon is currently selling it on pre-order for 13.99).

From the Dance Books description: "Filmed at the Chatelet Theatre in Paris in 2002, the casts of these four Michel Fokine ballets include Svetlana Zakharova and Faroukh Ruzimatov (Sheherazade), Zhanna Ayupova and Igor Kolb (Le Spectre de la Rose), and Diana Vishneva and Andrei Yakovlev (The Firebird)." A nice DVD to have indeed."

Another DVD that is about to come out? With recent performances of the above-mentioned people?

Thanks for clarifying! :dunno: