This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi in N.Am.- 'Giselle' reviews/comments

It's still Vasiliev's production, Leigh, although the Grigorovich is also in the Bolshoi rep. The Vasiliev is slated for the tour...don't ask me why...it just is.

I fondly remember the Lunkina/Tsiskaridze performance on that NY tour that you mention. What a shame that neither artist is on the tour roster. Both are dancing many performances in Moscow while the bulk of the troupe is in North America. Tsiskaridze is slated to dance the 'Pique Dame' ballet (one of his signature roles) during the upcoming Roland Petit mixed bill in Moscow...so he must be on the mend. Lunkina is dancing the Grigorovich 'Giselle' among other roles. It's great to know that they are in good enough health & form to dance.

The fact that neither Lunkina nor Tsiskaridze are engaged in the US tour of the Bolshoi has nothing to do with “shame”, since they haven’t danced for a long time and only PLAN to perform in October. I do hope that these plans will be fulfilled, but to plunge into a tiresome tour after all the health troubles they had undergone, would have been too risky and hence merely not wise.

What to Volochkova, it is not the first time she is scheduled for regular performance (mainly Mirtha), since she is still in the staff. But untill now she neglected the offered roles. So I think it is just a ritual, not a real perspective. :innocent:

Edited by ina

Thanks for all this, Ina. You're a gem!

Hasn't Tsiskaridze already performed this season -- 'Bluebird pdd' w/ Andrienko, a couple of weeks ago? How did it go? It's a very difficult pdd, albeit brief. If he could handle it, then he can handle Albrecht.

Are you going to tomorrow night's 'Giselle'...which would be Lunkina's return after the long absence? I'd (we'd) love to hear about it!

re. Volochkova...ah, so it may just be a formality from the Bolshoi management? I just don't recall her on the roster during the past 18 months. I lived in Moscow throughout the entire legal-wrangling period & saw Volochkova only in privately-sponsored events.

One last question, as one who dearly loves Russian ballet: Do you know the nature of Galia Stepanenko's recent injury? I realize that she's out of the tour but I was wondering if she might be back this season.

Chistliva! - Natasha

Sorry to be late with the answers to your questions, Natalia!

Alas, but Tsiskaridze hasn’t yet performed this year. I mean the challenging ballet roles of course. The Blue bird was planned, but not fulfilled. The recovery after such a serious injury seems to be rather unpredictable. This season Tsiskaridze appeared on stage of the Bolshoi only once - in a gala, partnering Raymonda in the adagio. He is still scheduled for “Queen of Spades” on the 13th of October. The role is one of his favorites, but it is difficult and exhausting.

I haven’t seen yesterday’s “Giselle” and unfortunately have no information about the performance yet. Hope that some of the members of ballet.ru will write about it.

As far as I know Stepanenko is not injured, but sick. It’s not the first time that health problems keep her away from Bolshoi tours. :shrug:

The American tour of the Bolshoi is now in the focus of Moscow ballet goers. We hope to learn as much as possible about it not only from the local newspapers, but also from our “colleagues” overseas. Keep in touch. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the updates & clarifications, Ina! I'll check ballet.ru...and will write reports about the tour, as I see performances, beginning with two Don Q's in Boston (this weekend). I'm sure that other American members of this forum will be attending performances in the various cities. Пока!

Thanks for the Lunkina update, Mikhail, & for the links, Alexandra. The Russian chat rooms are abuzz with good news about Lunkina's return. I'm still waiting for impressions on Lopatkina's opening Odette/Odile at the Kirov, tonight...but that's another forum!

Here's a Giselle review from Mexico, in Spanish. This is from the October 15 edition of the main newspaper in Mexico City, Excelsior:

Basically, it just describes the ballet...not a true critique. Ballet must rarely make it to Mexico City, as this doesn't seem to have been written by a profesisonal critic, alas. It mentions the opening-night stars, Gracheva & Filin.

Full link is http://www.excelsior.com.mx/index.php?ID=7737

BALLET BOLSHOI CONQUISTA A LOS MEXICANOS CON "GISELLE"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Publicado: 15/10/04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

México, 15 octubre. La precisión, talento y belleza de los bailarines del Ballet Bolshoi de Rusia conquistaron anoche al público mexicano con la obra "Giselle", en lo que constituyó su primera presentación en México tras 20 años de ausencia.

La compañía dirigida por el ruso Alexei Ratmansky abrió su temporada en el Auditorio Nacional con ese ballet clásico romántico.

La obra gira en torno a una hermosa campesina llamada Giselle, interpretada por la primera bailarina Nadezhda Gracheva, quien descubre el amor con Loys, un supuesto vecino que en realidad es el conde Albrecht, interpretado por Sergei Filin.

El enamoramiento, desencanto y la muerte de Giselle se desarrollan en el primero de los dos actos, cuando Hilarión, -caracterizado por Alexander Petukhov-, pretendiente de la joven, le informa que Loys es un conde.

El escenario del Auditorio Nacional pasó de ser un espacio rocoso de la campiña a un bosque coronado por la luna llena, donde las Willis, espíritus de mujeres jóvenes que murieron antes de casarse, protegen la tumba de Giselle.

En el segundo acto se produce la muerte de Hilarion, quien es atrapado por las Willis y éstas lo hacen bailar hasta sucumbir.

En esa incesante danza de la muerte con las Willis se aprecia la elegancia, gracia y precisión del cuerpo de bailarines rusos, lo que demuestra la reputación del Bolshoi.

Los bailarines estuvieron acompañados por la Orquesta del Teatro Bolshoi, la cual interpretó con virtuosismo la música del francés Adolphe Adam durante los 100 minutos que duró el espectáculo.

El ballet también escenificará en Ciudad de México la última coreografía del francés Marius Petipa, "Raymonda", ballet que se divide en tres actos con música del ruso Alexander Glazunov.

La compañía ofreció ayer, éste viernes y el próximo martes 19 de octubre el montaje de "Giselle".

Los siguientes sábado, domingo y lunes representará "Raymonda", de nuevo con Nadezhda Gracheva y Alexander Petukhov acompañados por más de 150 bailarines. (EFE)