This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Peter Boal "leading candidate" for AD position

I do think it's strange that the NY Times hasn't had anything to say yet about it... after all, this is pretty big news for the ballet world.

The press release didn't go out until Monday morning, Seattle time, and the NYT may be waiting on interviews. Or perhaps just waiting.

Maybe they'll do an article when it's a done deal.  I'm still unsure why PNB announced anything without a contract signed.

I've been thinking about that part of this situation quite a bit, as well as looking at other companies and how they managed similar transitions, and I have to say I have yet to see a really good model. Some companies have managed to keep everything under very tight wraps until the final choice was announced -- a process that frustrated their communities and made those "not in the know" feel excluded. In some cases the actual transition went pretty smoothly, with the incoming director embraced and supported by the community, but in a few examples, it was a very rocky process, involving legal action and creating the opinion among the general population that the organizations didn't know how to run themselves. ("Oh, those crazy artists.") I understand that the hiring committe at PNB wanted to avoid that situation if possible, hence the short list of candidates released earlier this year. Although they did get a number of "What in the world?!" responses from outside the area, local opinion has been pretty muted.

As far as this latest announcement is concerned, I'm enough of a small-type-reader to note the distinction between the committee agreeing that one candidate leads the group and having that translate into a recommendation to the board at large. And knowing that there are several steps after that recommendation that will also have to be navigated, I can see why they might think this is a reasonable place to make another announcement. Like many of us, I'm not sure how much to read into the language of the press release.