This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opening Night

The invitation from the NYCB Guild calls the program "Ballet Four Ways," which to me sounds like something from a Chinese restaurant. Be that as it may, this is it: Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux; I'm Old Fashioned; Octet (New York Premiere of a ballet by Peter Martins to Mendelssohn); Liturgy (Christopher Wheeldon to music of Arvo Part). I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm.

I'M OLD FASHIONED makes me snooze...this could be the first time in seven years that I skip Opening Night. Casting will be the deciding factor.

Does anyone know if OCTET is THE Martins premiere for the season or is an "opening night special" with another piece to come in the Winter season?

Yeah, it IS sort of a light-weight programme but it does represent NYCB's "Big Four" choreographers: Balanchine, Robbins, Martins & Wheeldon.

Farrell Fan, your analogy to a Chinese lunch-special gave me a chuckle...do you suppose we get free egg rolls with it?

Octet is another bland attempt by Mr. M in my opinion. The patterns and some of the steps are vaguely reminiscent of Balanchine ballets--so you can spice up your evening trying to locate the various points of connection. Aside from that, it will be a good chance for the men of the company to flex their muscle and test their endurance--tis a lot of back and forth with pretty much the same six combinations in backward and reverse order.

Tchaikovsky Pas de Deux

Sofiane Sylve (She would be fantastic!) and James Fayette (I'm guessing the beneath this strong partner beats a strong technician beating to get out.)

Alexandra Ansanelli and Peter Boal (They may have already dance the roles, but I've never seen them.)

Megan Fairchild and Daniel Ulbricht (Not sure of Fairchild, but I think Ulbricht would be great.)

Ashley Bouder and Damian Woetzel (I know, I know Woetzel almost own the role, but I think he would be great in a performance with Bouder who I'm sure would tear down the house with her performance!)

I'll add my voice to the clamor for Bouder, and I'm guessing that by the time I leave the theater, I'll have forgotten who her partner was. :D

I'd also like to see Fairchild, but not with anyone who'd be an obvious (i.e., small) partner. :shrug: Between Ulbricht and deLuz, I'd prefer Joaquin.

for a change, how about some much-needed glamour and sophistication a la violette verdy:  the really stunning miranda weese - with the elegant philip neal?

Now that's a performance I would love to see! Especially if Verdy herself coach them in their roles! In fact with their unique qualities - Weese with her subdue glamour and technical strength match with Neal's expressive elegance and if they have the proper guardian and nurturing from Peter Martins and others, I think Weese and Neal could make an interesting partnership.

Have they ever dance together?

Old news now, but here's the official press release:

New York City Ballet has announced the program for the Opening Night Benefit, to be held on Tuesday, November 23. The program is titled “Ballet Four Ways” and includes works by George Balanchine, Jerome Robbins, Peter Martins, and Christopher Wheeldon. The performance, which begins at 7:30 is preceded by a cocktail reception and followed by a gala dinner on the Promenade of the New York State Theater at Lincoln Center.

Opening the program is the U.S. premiere of Mr. Martins’ Octet, a ballet set to Mendelssohn that the Royal Danish Ballet premiered on November 14, 2003. Octet features two principal couples and a corps of six men. Octet will also be performed on the Company’s annual New Combinations Evening on Saturday, January 22, replacing the previously announced world premiere ballet from Mr. Martins. Additional performances of Octet will be given on January 23 at 3 p.m. and January 29 at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

The program continues with Mr. Wheeldon’s Liturgy, a haunting pas de deux set to music by contemporary composer Arvo Pärt that premiered on May 31, 2003, followed

by Balanchine’s Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux, a virtuoso work that premiered on March 29, 1960. “Ballet Four Ways” concludes with Robbins’ 1983 tribute to Fred Astaire, I’m Old Fashioned, named for the song by Jerome Kern which Morton Gould’s score uses as its theme.

Tables of ten for the Opening Night Benefit are available for $15,000, $20,000, and $30,000 and include performance tickets, while individual tickets are $1,500, $2,000, and $3,000; these tickets are available through the NYCB Special Events Office at 212-870-5585. Tickets for the cocktail reception and the performance (orchestra sides and back) are $200 and are also available through the NYCB Special Events Office. Tickets for just the performance are priced from $20 to $100 and will be available at the New York State Theater Box Office and through the NYCB website at www.nycballet.com beginning September 27 and through Ticketmaster at 212-307-4100 beginning September 28.

The New York State Theater is located on the Lincoln Center Plaza at Broadway at 63rd Street. For general information on tickets for any New York City Ballet performance, call 212-870-5570, or visit www.nycballet.com.

Yes, several mentioned her performances in California so although I had heard this, I figured that the reported sighting of her was an optical illusion. I'm happy to hear that they have been having fun! And will be able to take a very well-deserved break next week....

The invitation from the NYCB Guild calls the program "Ballet Four Ways," which to me sounds like something from a Chinese restaurant. Be that as it may, this is it: Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux; I'm Old Fashioned; Octet (New York Premiere of a ballet by Peter Martins to Mendelssohn); Liturgy (Christopher Wheeldon to music of Arvo Part). I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm.

hello everybody im new to this site , but just wanted to give some information .

Octet was created to the royal danish last season , and in my opinion not the best work by mr martins , but surely well danced .

The ballet features 2 lead couple and 6 corps de ballet boys.

Anybody notice that Bouder, although cast, was absent from all or part of the CA tour?

Bouder did show up in both Orange County and Los Angeles - though not necessarily in the roles that she was cast on the initial anouncement. She never danced the third movement in "Symphony in C" as the casting sheet said she would - Megan Fairchild danced it at all of the CA performances (I wanted to see Bouder at least once, though). Off the top of my head, I remember her appearing in "Stars and Stripes" (first campaign, all three times it was performed), "Who Cares?" (pink girl), as a standout corps girl in Martins' "Hallelujah Junction", at opening night in the "Emeralds" pas de trois, and then making a very memorable debut as the Russian girl in the penultimate "Serenade" in Los Angeles.

I bought a ticket...it looks like they are doing the first 3 pieces with pauses in between and then the single intermission before I'M OLD FASHIONED. So I'll just stay for the first half. Sylve, Wendy, and the cast for OCTET are enough to lure me to the theatre.