This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What artistic directors do

Alexandra

There's an article in the Seattle Weekly by Sandi Kurtz that I thought raised some very interesting and important points about artistic direction. It's specifically about Pacific Northwest Ballet, but it speaks to what artistic directors do generally, and about the direction ballet companies take. Since we've had so many discussions about that here, I thought this was worth posting for discussion.

Changing Partners

Interesting question. Miami City Ballet, Edward Villella's company, has "Giselle" in repertory.

I do think it's natural for a director to bring to his/her company the repertory, mores, and all the other trappings of the company he -- and it is nearly always a he, so I'm dropping the PC his/her -- grew up in. The current generation of directors seem to fall into the after-ABT or after-NYCB mold. An exception is Helgi Tomasson, whose company, and some directorial practices, seem more like the Royal Danish Ballet of old than NYCB.