This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Favorite Bluebirds/Princess Florines

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#16 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 05:30 AM

Jean Babilee is my favorite Bluebird---he literally flew in those brise voles. I loved Alonso's "Florine", she was like no other I ever saw dance the role--she was every inch the Classical ballerina, with no signs of the cutsiness that most dancers infuse the role.

#17 sharongordon

sharongordon

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

Unfortunately, Graham Usher died in 1975.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry to hear that. He was so kind to a little kid. Not to mention a wonderful bluebird.

#18 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 03:04 AM

I loved Larissa Lezhina - I saw her dancing Florine in Uruguay, maybe 10 years ago or more - truly delicate, and could not believe she was in right in front of my eyes in country, as she was one of my "video" idols.

I do not remember the name of the Blue Bird,though.

I also like Pankova, Terekhova and Semenyaka. For Blue Birds I would go for Yury Vetrov and Melnikov (sp?)

#19 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 08:14 PM

Silvy, you saw Lezhnina live?! :( I am SOOOO jealous!!!

#20 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 02:06 AM

Silvy, I very much doubt that Yuri Vetrov ever danced Bluebird, did you mean Alexander Vetrov who I believe is his younger cousin?

#21 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 03:46 AM

Yes, Hans I saw Lezhina live - she did not dance much, though. I remember she did not dance the variation, only the pas de deux (I do not remember if they danced the coda). That was before our Solis Theater was refurbished, and I guess it was because the floor was not in the best conditions (there was a huge rake on the stage, which is now gone). This was part of a gala program, where Gedeminas Taranda also danced (he danced a tango with a ballerina named Pavlova - of course, a young Pavlova!!!!!!).

The Vetrov I mention is the one who dances opposite Bylova in the Bolshoi video (if I am not confusing names - this Bluebird has a very large travelling assemble, and very large travelling sisonnes, which are impressive).

#22 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,316 posts

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:14 PM

This was part of a gala program, where Gedeminas Taranda also danced (he danced a tango with a ballerina named Pavlova - of course, a young Pavlova!!!!!!).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now it's my turn to be green with envy :)

#23 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:45 AM

Yes, and I saw Taranda twice in my country. The first time he came with a group, where Nadezhda Pavlova herself danced 2nd act Giselle, and Maya Plitseskaya herself danced Dying Swan in her sixties. Then Taranda danced this tango with this other Pavlova (a young dancer). I also remember a "Carmen" by Alberto Alonso, where a whole group of female dancers in unison danced the solo variation. I could not believe I was seeing all these great artists live. I think the group was called "the Russian Imperial Ballet", or something of the like.

The second time (when I saw Lezhnina), I remember seeing the Pugni pas de quatre. Among the dancers was the one who dances the first soloist in Raymonda in Bolshoi video (dream sequence - I do not remember her name). I liked her very, very much.

#24 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:48 AM

Then Taranda danced this tango with this other Pavlova (a young dancer).

Almost certainly that would have been Olga Pavlova.

#25 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 03:34 AM

Yes!! It was Olga Pavlova - very impressive tango indeed

#26 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 18 November 2005 - 02:17 PM

Silvy, you saw Lezhnina live?! :) I am SOOOO jealous!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I saw Lezhnina live too. Her Florine and Aurora were classically pure.
When the Maryinsky came to L.A. in December 1992, they were celebrating
the 100th anniversary of 'Nutcracker.' She danced the most perfect
Masha (second only to Maximova's), that I ever saw.
The audience rose to it's feet. . . Unforgettable.

#27 klingsor

klingsor

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:02 PM

Bluebirds: Cornejo and Bujones

#28 Hans

Hans

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:03 PM

Cygnet, I'm so envious I think my skin has actually turned green! :) Thank you for that description; what I would not give to see Lezhnina dance live.

#29 silvy

silvy

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 21 December 2005 - 06:29 AM

Regarding Lezhnina as Florine, I remember that people around me at the theater were not that impressed. As she danced only the adagio, all you could admire was that pristine classical purity. And there and then I realized that too many people go to ballet driven to see pyrotechnics, and not true art. Hers was ART above all

#30 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

A similar discussion has arisen on a newer thread. If you wish to post, please do so there. :clapping:

I'm closing this thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):