This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Favorite Bluebirds/Princess Florines

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 MakarovaFan

MakarovaFan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 10:02 AM

Who are your favorites?

#2 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 06:30 PM

When I was a little girl, the first live SB performance I saw was the de Valois 1977 Royal Ballet production. Park & Wall were Aurora and Florimund. The Bluebirds were Alfreda Thorogood and Michael Coleman. They left a lasting impression on me. They were great! My other all time favorite Bluebirds are A. McKerrow & J. Renval, L. Semenyaka & Y. Vetrov, and Jennifer Penney & Wayne Eagling. In addition to the Florines already mentioned, my other favorites are Pavlenko, Yevteyeva, Lezhnina, F. Chadwick, Makarova (Sizova/Soloviev film of SB), and M. Bilova. I wish I could have seen Maximova & Vasiliev but they danced this ppd before I was even thought of :wacko:.

#3 Brioche

Brioche

Inactive Member

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:35 PM

Florine's are Elizabeth Loscavio and Joanna Berman (SFB)

Still thinking about my fave Bluebirds.

B

#4 oberon

oberon

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 05:55 AM

Carrie Lee Riggins & Adam Hendrickson of NYCB.

I saw the very youthful Ethan Steifel & Yvonne Borree when NYCB's production was new, and before that at ABT I saw Karena Brock & Ted Kivitt, who were superb.

#5 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 10:04 AM

Two of my fave bluebirds are Johan Renvall and Herman Cornejo. No Florine springs immediately to mind as quite so outstanding, but I've enjoyed Ashley Tuttle, Cheryl Yeager and Deirdre Carberry.

(Whatever became of Deirdre, btw? Anyone?)

#6 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 02:31 PM

(Whatever became of Deirdre, btw?  Anyone?)

I have bought a few ballet books from Deirdre Carberry's mother, who is an ebay seller. She told me Deirdre has been living in England for a few years and is not dancing at the present time.

My vote for Bluebird is Kevin Pugh and for Florine, Natasha Makarova.

#7 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 06:37 PM

My favorite Bluebirds were Rudolf Nureyev and Graham Usher

Favorite Florines were Georgina Parkinson, but not while dancing with Nureyev, and Makarova, also not dancing with Nureyev.

#8 aspirant

aspirant

• PipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

A bluebird to remember (and hopefully to see again sometime soon!) is Olivia Goodrich/Lavery (not sure which she is going by. She performed this role at the SAB workshop a few years back and was spectacular.

#9 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 12:47 PM

Ilya Kozadeyev and Leticia Oliveira.

#10 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 03:06 PM

The last time ABT did Sleeping Beauty, Ethan Stiefel did Bluebird, and he was just wonderful. Inhuman and very magical, with wonderful sit-in-the-air cabrioles. It was one of the greatest things I have ever seen.

#11 Lovebird

Lovebird

• PipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 09:33 AM

Favorite Princess Florine- Antoinette Sibley on the RB video WOW! Also Deidre Chapman
Favorite Bluebirds- Errol Pickford

#12 mohnurka

mohnurka

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 01:09 PM

Tatiana Terekhova, Elena Pankova, Elena Evteeva :dunno:

#13 sharongordon

sharongordon

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:56 AM

My favorite Bluebirds were Rudolf Nureyev and Graham Usher

Favorite Florines were Georgina Parkinson, but not while dancing with Nureyev, and Makarova, also not dancing with Nureyev.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you tell me what ever happened to Graham Usher? I met him when I was a kid in the 1960's and just loved him.

#14 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 06:08 AM

Unfortunately, Graham Usher died in 1975.

#15 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 09:26 PM

Sibley, sibley Sibley

Lovebird you are so right....--she shimmers, her whole upper body is winged.

That video is mostly kinda awful, except for Sibley -- Fonteyn is uncharacteristically awkward as Aurora; the best things on it are Gerd Larson as he queen (she is fantastic), Park as one of hte precious-metal fairies, and this absolutely transcendant performance by Antoinette Sibley as Princess Florine. It's not just technique, of which she has plenty -- it's the beauty of her line, the softness of her breathing, the delicacy of her head positions, the remarkable flexibility of her torso -- she's rarely straight up and down -- though her legs are very true and her aplomb is fantastic, she does her double ronde de jambes in the coda with her torso at quite a tilt -- beautifully lifted out of the hips, but the tilt is almost Cunninghamesque -- very classical, truly beautiful, and at high speed. Her lines are unbelievable. And all of it is so dancey, musical in the extreme.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):