This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB at OCPAC

The only thing I don't like about this casting is that just one name will change for a ballet like Jewels or Symphony in C for each performance - and it will be a name that I want to see in that role! So it means I'll have to find a way to go and see it. Worse things can happen of course. :thumbsup:

But LA and Orange County were lucky to get this kind of rep to begin with - all favorites plus a few newbies, so to get some interesting casting is an added bonus.

I used to see Ashley as the "Waltz Girl" quite often. That part has another life as a role for the Mature dancer and I remember Kent, von Aroldingen, and Farrell performing it late in their careers. Ashley had been a "jumping girl (or Russian girl)" and graduated to the Waltz Girl, same as Nichols. I wish I had seen Whelan, I'm sure she brought her innate intellegence to the role. I adore Ringer in the part, but I haven't seen her in the role recently since it seems to be going to the senior ballerinas Kistler and Nichols right now.

I also hope some of this casting carries over to New York. I always thought Borree was miscast as the jumping girl and would love to see Weese in the part. There's lots of other interesting things on the casting, as others have pointed out, Sylve in a ton of stuff, Weese going back to the first movement of Symphony in C (we haven't seen that in a long time in New York and I think she's one of the best in it), Fairchild and Bouder in the Emeralds trio, and Krohn and Bar in Agon. I really hope Bar is getting her chance - she was considered "the one" at SAB, along with Taylor, and has gone back and forth as far as casting goes.

I think Sylve is doing the Mimi Paul roll.  It makes sense because Martins has been casting Sylve in the "glamour" rolls and the Paul roll is the one the glamour girls do now.

Sylve as Paul makes sense for that reason, Dale, but she's also likely to add the French accent to Verdy's role.

I am having a wonderful time imagining Sylve in every principal role in Jewels -- including both in Rubies. Isn't NYCB lucky to have a ballerina of such versatility! And I suspect she has the stamina to do it all on the same night!

I'll be going to as many as I can also; so far plans are firm for Wednesday THursday and Friday in Orange County, and Friday and Saturday in Los Angeles - but more will likely appear on my schedule.

For anyone who hasn't purchased tickets yet: half price tickets are being offered through Gold Star Events, at www.goldstarevents.com, for both the Orange County and Los Angeles performances.

Also, based on my experience as an avid student-rusher at ballet here in So Cal, there is student rush at both venues, which I called to verify about - $20 and $10 at Orange County (depending on where you want to sit), and $25 in Los Angeles. Simply call the box office on the day of the show to see if there will be rush available for that evening's performance. Also, in Los Angeles. there are 100 general rush tickets available for $15 to the general public, that go on sale at 12 noon the day of the performance (on sale time varies for matinee days) - seating is generally in the upper balcony, in the slightly handrail obstructed view sections. And I didn't tell you this, but generally you can move a bit as curtain time nears. Visit www.musiccenter.org for more info on these programs in Los ANgeles, and call the Orange County Perfomring Arts Center for more information on these.