This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Postcard Selections

how good to learn of someone familiar in any way w/ boris bregvadze. i only 'discovered' him once i began collecting russian & soviet postcards. i have any number of him - when i post the album of soviet male dancers you'll see what i mean. i feel so out-of-it having not known of him before. when i asked irina kolpakova a bit about him in passing in a new york theater lobby, she smiled sweetly and said something like: 'oh yes, beautiful physique' (which she pronounced in that charming russo/english way as "FIZ-ikh!')

i'm curious now to know about your teacher, i.e. a one-time pupil of B.Bregvadze. what can you tell me about this individual?

many thanks in advance.

I'm sorry to jump in into your conversation, but Boris Bregvadze was my teacher also and I'd like to share my memory of this wonderful men, dancer and teacher.

Beside having a good "fizikh" he was very handsome, had incredible temperament (I think young Nureev copied his presence on the stage) and all female part of the audience got absolutley crazy when Bregvadze appears on the stage. His favorite roles were Solor, Basil, Mercutio. As a teacher he managed to combine both strickness and softness. We were ready to disappear into thin air when he was angry with us and to fly to heaven after his praise. He's teaching upper three levels in Vaganova academy and when I became his pupil, all of us, advanced students by American standards, barely could remember combinations on the centre, because he moved so beautifully and we were watching him with open mouth.