This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Yuri GrigorovichWhere is he now?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 06:27 PM

I thought he was crude, too, till I saw his "Raymonda," which contains much that is exquisite and delighted me beyond measure.

And Bessmertnova was a fabulous creature, as fantastic in her way as Suzanne Farrell (who also got the bulk of the film roles). NOt that I wouldn't welcome more Maximova...

Marc, what have you got to say on all this?

#17 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,736 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:05 PM

Grigorovich turns 85. Happy birthday! But are these "his best ballets"?

A celebration in his honour will take place in the Bolshoi Theatre on the 6th of January with the performance of ballet suites based on Grigorovich’s best ballets – Romeo and Juliet, The Golden Age and The Nutcracker.

#18 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

As many of you are aware, the Bolshoi has been very busy recently filming HD transmissions of its repertoire. The Bolshoi productions of Giselle, Swan Lake and Nutcracker are all revivals/restagings of the Grigorovich versions and all have been recently filmed and broadcast to movie theaters worldwide. The current Bolshoi administration has invited Grigorovich back to stage the productions and coach the dancers. During the intermissions of the HD broadcasts, Grigorovich has been interviewed backstage (looking very energetic and alert) and has been sincerely enthusiastic about the current state of the company - particularly the soloists. So after all this disgrace and drama 15 years ago, Grigorovich is suddenly the adored grand old man of Russian ballet. Very much in line with the wave of "Soviet nostalgia" that Russia has been experiencing in the years of change and confusion after communism fell.

#19 esperanto

esperanto

• PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

I thought he was crude, too, till I saw his "Raymonda," which contains much that is exquisite and delighted me beyond measure.

And Bessmertnova was a fabulous creature, as fantastic in her way as Suzanne Farrell (who also got the bulk of the film roles). NOt that I wouldn't welcome more Maximova...

I found his Raymonda to be the most boring of all the Raymondas.

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

Esperanto, is that last sentence yours or Paul's? I totally agree with whomever wrote it, i.e., the Grigorovich Raymonda is the most boring one out there, even though it still contains some lovely ensembles. YG's reworking of the Act II Pas de Six (Raymonda, Abder and the 4 friends) is a delight.

#21 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

When I wrote that, YG's was the ONLY complete Raymonda I'd ever seen. I still prefer it to Nureyev';s, where the dances are stuffed with awkward excrescences and Raymonda herself has gone faisandee. WOuld love to see others in the flesh.

I was NOT bored by YG's; I was enchanted by the dancing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):