This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

who will be at NYCB on Tuesday?

Hi!

I'll be there too...it just happened to be on the same date as my mom's birthday-perfect excuse to get tickets!!

Look for the short blond in a long black skirt moaning about wearing high heels (skating calluses and high heels do not mix!)

I don't know anything more about the program-if I hear anything I'll post.

Kate

For a first-timer at an NYCB opening night...and advice on how fancy to dress (we are in the 3rd ring)? I presume that for those of us not staying on for the supper ball, it's a bit fancier than normal evenings, but certainly not black tie.

Kate

Kate -

That's pretty much exactly it. It is a great excuse to wear something nice, though! Also, (probably because I'm a knitter) I'm always suggesting fancy shawls for female theater goers. It gives you a dressy way to deal with the air conditioning. And it gives the knitters in your lives something to do.

Am I right, Giannina or what? biggrin.gif

I am coming down from upstate with three friends. Last night we played "guess the program". Since it is all Balanchine and a tribute to NY, I am guessing "Who Cares", and "Stars and Stripes" for the finale, for sure. Supposedly every dancer in the company will participate? And there will be a surprise guest artist? Can't wait!

I know our seats are in 4th ring, row D or B, one person that I talked with said each one. Would it be possible to set up a meeting place, perhaps at first intermission, where all of us who are there could find each other? I'd love to meet some more of you.

My experience with dress is that anything truly goes, even on special gala nights. We'll be dressed decently, but for comfort. We have a long car ride after a day of teaching.

I'm sitting 4th ring, seat E3. I usually hang at the little table and stools underneath the stairs on the promenade level or by the left stairs at the 4th ring, but I'll probably lurk near the center railing on the first level in order to watch the festivities.

Rumors have it the program will include Serenade with Kistler, Borree, Kowroski. Who Cares? (The Man I Love pas de deux) Margaret Tracy and Nilas Martin and Stars and Stripes.

Hi!

Leigh probably can answer this one...but is there likely to be an intermission? I've heard that the last opening night did not have an intermission. That makes sense because you gotta get the dancing done before too late so that you're not eating supper at midnight!

Oh, just to remind people...they may be randomly searching bags at the door and trunks going into the basement garage at Lincoln Center, so leave some extra time! And you might want to limit yourself to a small purse!

Kate

Hi!

Judging from Peter Martins' letter that is on the NYCB webpage and was sent to their mailing list/guild, they aren't forbidding anything in particular. I suspect that if certain things (binoculars etc.) are not going to be allowed in that they would have let us know ahead of time. Otherwise there will be a lot of chaos at the door.

It's probably wise though NOT to bring any large bags, backpacks etc.

Kate

Originally posted by Leigh Witchel:

Kate -

I'm always suggesting fancy shawls for female theater goers. It gives you a dressy way to deal with the air conditioning. And it gives the knitters in your lives something to do.

Am I right, Giannina or what? biggrin.gif

Right!!

Giannina

[ November 19, 2001: Message edited by: Giannina Mooney ]