This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Alla Sizova

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Lidewij

Lidewij

• PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 01:38 PM

Yes, that's right, that's part of a Kirov "Paquita" - in a 1980 gala program filmed at the Mariinsky and shown in those years on BBC. The lineup is quite amazing, featuring Komleva and Zaklinsky, Sizova, Kunakova, Efremova, Evteyeva. A great ballet moment on film. Sizova was then pushing forty.
I never saw this on any commercial video release, though.

If anybody should be interested, this video appeared on youtube today (Part one, two and three) Quality is bad, but I think it's still worth seeing. :)

#17 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

THank you thank you thank you for alerting us to this.

Yes, that's right, that's part of a Kirov "Paquita" - in a 1980 gala program filmed at the Mariinsky and shown in those years on BBC. The lineup is quite amazing, featuring Komleva and Zaklinsky, Sizova, Kunakova, Efremova, Evteyeva. A great ballet moment on film. Sizova was then pushing forty.
I never saw this on any commercial video release, though.

If anybody should be interested, this video appeared on youtube today (Part one, two and three) Quality is bad, but I think it's still worth seeing. :)

#18 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:46 AM

This is a wonderful film - thank you for posting, Lidewij! :flowers:

As we're on the Alla Sizova thread, does anybody know if she's teaching and/or coaching in St Petersburg? I just know that she never returned (at least not in a full-time capacity) to Washington, DC, after Fall 2004. She was such a great teacher here that I am guessing and hoping that she returned full-time to the Vaganova Academy...but she must not be teaching graduation classes, or we would have seen her on Russian TV with her charges, as we often see Kovaleva, Sitnikova and the other teachers of graduation classes.

Whatever she may be doing, I hope that she is happy. She's a DC Legend because of her many years at Kirov Academy/UBA, in addition to being a Leningrad Legend!

#19 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

Luke Jennings in The Guardian of 14th October reveals, well to me at least, that the stunning performance of Le Corsaire Queen of the Dryads variation performed by Alla Sizova (in 1958) was in fact chorographed by Rudolf Nureyev.

If I knew this before, I have since forgotten it.

http://www.guardian....llet?CMP=twt_gu

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):