This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alla Sizova

MakarovaFan

During my last visit to the Lincoln Center Library I watched a film excerpt of Nureyev and Alla Sizova dancing Le Corsaire pdd at the Kirov Graduation Performance in 1958. Sizova was a revelation to me. Her beautiful extensions and soft, space-devouring jumps were breathtaking. I've seen her in the 1964 Sleeping Beauty film, but otherwise it's been difficult to find biographical/repertoire information and videos on Sizova. I'd be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction. I'd also like to know who her coach was. Thank you :( .

Sizova is alive and well and teaching in Washington, D.C.!

I hope Marc, or someone, can give more details on her career. I've seen only pieces on tape -- that "Corsaire," and a tiny bit of her Maria in "Fountain of Baksichirai" (which I'm sure I've spelled wrong). She's also Aurora in "Sleeping Beauty" on an oddly truncated version that is, or at least as, available commercially (they cut the SOLOS from Bluebird, and the dancers are Makarova and Panov!!!!, and then they cut the adagio from the grand pas de deux; Sizova dances with Soloviev)

Not only is she an inspiring teacher, but all the more intimidating because she is still techniqually amazing! Her turn out was better than anyone in our class at Kirov (UBA now). She is such an inspiration to watch and a very demanding teacher. I learned from her more than from any other teacher what true grace and artistry is. She is remarkable. :clapping:

Rachel

Alla Sizova is a living legend. Had Nureyev not defected, they may have had a long partnership at the Kirov. They were being prepared to be the "golden couple" at the Maryinsky. Although the PR at the time would have them as great friends in and out of ballet, the truth (as told by one of Nureyev's biographers) is that they did not get along offstage.

She is indeed an inspiration, as mentioned, and a very good (and beloved) teacher. Her students revere her.

I have, in addition to the videos mentioned, a video of her dancing the lead in Maritenka -- so light, strong and lovely! She was a ballerina who knew how to fly!

Sizova also was coached by Dudinskaya; interestingly, in those days, Kirov coaches were not as exclusively dedicated to one or several dancers.

Dudinskaya probably coached all the leading ballerinas of that time in some of their roles. Sizova was a great admirer of Shelest's, however.

There is a video that I do not have, and have not seen; however it is a near-legendary performance by Sizova of the Paquita variation with Italian fouettes. Has anyone seen it? It's from the late-70s or even early '80s, the very end of her career, and she is said to be as glorious as ever.

Yes, that's right, that's part of a Kirov "Paquita" - in a 1980 gala program filmed at the Mariinsky and shown in those years on BBC. The lineup is quite amazing, featuring Komleva and Zaklinsky, Sizova, Kunakova, Efremova, Evteyeva. A great ballet moment on film. Sizova was then pushing forty.

I never saw this on any commercial video release, though.

I just saw Sizova in some videos my friend gave me. She is enchanting -- she's one of those ballerinas who doesnt seem to dance, she floats, as if on a cloud. Her arms particularly are so wonderfully soft and she just seems ethereal. The only dancers who can match her in that floating quality are Gelsey Kirkland and Alina Cojacaru.

But Sizova's beautiful. I'm sorry she suffered such a loss.

At the start of last December's Holiday Concert, UBA artistic director Oleg Vinogradov announced the hiring of former Bolshoi ballerina Galina Kozlova as the replacement of Ms Sizova. He also stated that Ms Sizova has returned to St. Petersburg.

I'm in the dark about the circumstances of Mme. Sizova's return to St. Petersburg, but I know her pedagogy at UBA will be deeply missed. The best female dancers from UBA came out of her class (Michele Wiles, among many others). She brought out the best in a lot of girls, and she passed along the traditions of Russian style with an unbelievable freshness.

There exists a video of her in La Viviandere (probably labeled as Markitanka, as the Russians sometimes call it). I think it is one of those "best of Russian ballet"-type videos, from the late 1970s or 80s. Sizova is dancing the lead rather late in her career and is, of course, exceptional.

Edited by jonellew

Yes, that's right, that's part of a Kirov "Paquita" - in a 1980 gala program filmed at the Mariinsky and shown in those years on BBC. The lineup is quite amazing, featuring Komleva and Zaklinsky, Sizova, Kunakova, Efremova, Evteyeva. A great ballet moment on film. Sizova was then pushing forty.

If anybody should be interested, this video appeared on youtube today (

and
) Quality is bad, but I think it's still worth seeing. :)

THank you thank you thank you for alerting us to this.

If anybody should be interested, this video appeared on youtube today (

and
) Quality is bad, but I think it's still worth seeing. :)

This is a wonderful film - thank you for posting, Lidewij! :flowers:

As we're on the Alla Sizova thread, does anybody know if she's teaching and/or coaching in St Petersburg? I just know that she never returned (at least not in a full-time capacity) to Washington, DC, after Fall 2004. She was such a great teacher here that I am guessing and hoping that she returned full-time to the Vaganova Academy...but she must not be teaching graduation classes, or we would have seen her on Russian TV with her charges, as we often see Kovaleva, Sitnikova and the other teachers of graduation classes.

Whatever she may be doing, I hope that she is happy. She's a DC Legend because of her many years at Kirov Academy/UBA, in addition to being a Leningrad Legend!