This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Samuel Barber 'Excursions'

Hi. I am choreographing a ballet to Samuel Barber's piano music, '"Excursions," and I was wondering if anyone knows if it has been used before. If so, who was the choreographer?

I am also wondering if there is a CD that has the music from Balanchine's "Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux." Is it featured in recordings of the full -length "Swan Lake," even though it wasn't used in the ballet? Thank you.

:((from the fog of memory)

Three of the four sections of T. pas are on the Bonynge full-length Swan. I seem to remember that the male var. is absent. Even if I could dig out the lp, I do not have a turntable at present, so . . .

The parts are scattered along the length of the recording. It would take editing to put what's there together.

One more question concerning tchai pas: What recordings of it are on film. I have Baryshnikov and Patty McBride, Peter Martins doing only the variation, Sascha Radetsky doing the variation in Center Stage, and a few broken up clips of the pas de deux with Eddie V. and D'Amboise from the bio of Balanchine on PBS. Any others that come to mind?

There was at least one complete performance of it done on the "Bell Telephone Hour" but by whom, I cannot tell you, as nearly forty years have dimmed the memory of particulars.

Edited to add: Or perhaps I was misrecalling, as I just searched for it, and found that it was danced on "Firestone Dances" a compilation of ballet performed on the "Voice of Firestone" (1962-63). It was danced by Melissa Hayden and Jacques d'Amboise. But I could still swear it was done by somebody else (Verdy and Villella?) on Bell.

McBride also did the Tschaikovsky on a tape and DVD called Pas de Deux. Her partner (Reid Olson) was not distinguished. Darcey Bussell and Zoltan Solymosi also did the pas de deux on a tape called "Gala Tribute to Tchaikovsky." It can be found here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

The piece was done several times on Bell Telephone Hour but are not commercially available.