• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Ari

Ari

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 04:31 AM

I don't know, carbro. Martins is under a great deal of pressure, and it remains to be seen how much longer he can take it. (To tell you the truth, I don't know how he's lasted as long as he has. It's not just the criticism, it's the often nasty and personal nature of the criticism that must be wearing, even if he tries to ignore it.) Kistler will probably retire in the next couple of years, and there will be less of an imperative to remain in New York. Not that I think his retirement is imminent, but five to ten years does not seem like an unrealistic time frame.

#17 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 11:23 AM

It is my understanding that Peter Martins is an extremely effective executive leader, with a strong relationship with his board and funders. I doubt whether some carping from the house or the press really undermines him. As for retiring, why should he? He makes an excellent salary, has a prestigious post, and speaks to the cultural affairs of all of Lincoln Center, and indeed the entire city. He is a commanding presence, and hardly seems headed out to pasture. (I recently saw him coach Apollo, and he seemed more hot than old.)

#18 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts

Posted 19 August 2004 - 06:20 PM

(I recently saw him coach Apollo, and he seemed more hot than old.)

Well that certainly sparks some images!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):