This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Aurora's Variation - Act III

I've been browsing this forum all morning, and I love it! There's a lot of wonderful information being shared here.

There are tons of fantastic recordings of Sleeping Beauty available, yet I haven't found a recording that has the correct arrangement of Aurora's variation in Act III. The introduction to her variation is missing and there are some repeated phrases that aren't part of the choreography.

Question:

Is there a recording out there that is "true" to the choreography?

Thanks,

Michael

the only recording ever done with the Ricardo Drigo editions of the music to fit to Petipas choreography was done by the Boilshoi Theatre Orch in box set (out of print of course) called Original Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra. It has the whole of act 3 played at the proper tempi, along with all the required bars edited for the perfect fit to the choreography. The variation in question is included on there, and is the one dancers are familiar with edited the way it should be. Of course we all know that symphonic orchestras have no business playing such music, and only an orchestra affiliated with ballet should EVER record such works.