This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

varna competition 2004 results

I hope someone can answer, and thank you for asking. Results from Varna were once big news -- even American newspapers would have an article -- small, page B99, but there.

By the way, a housekeeping matter. We had a forum dedicated to Ballet Competitions, but I moved it to Archives, because most of the posts had been from dance students wanting to know how to apply, or dates when a competition was happening, etc., and we'd wanted to keep the forum for discussion of competitions. So unless there is a huge demand for it, we'll keep competition discussions to Anything Goes, or News, or Aesthetic Isssues. But the topic is NOT off limits just because the forum has been closed.

Now, anyone know the July 2004 results?

Yulia, I'm sure you checked the official Varna site, as I just did, and found that it had not been updated. I wrote to them and asked. I'll post if I get an answer. In the meantime, if others know....

(I also did a search on a news story data base and found nothing, in any language!)

I wrote to them and asked.  I'll post if I get an answer.  In the meantime, if others know....

(I also did a search on a news story data base and found nothing, in any language!)

I did all that during the competition, Alexandra, as well as going to participating countries' online newspapers (in their own languages) to see if they were reporting on their own dancers. My daughter's friend was competing in the junior division and her ballet teacher's family accompanied her and her parents to Varna. We had no one to ask as they were all in Bulgaria!

I emailed from the Varna site the day after the competition ended and have yet to receive a reply from them.

Since the news I heard from my daughter's friend, her ballet teacher and impresario husband upon their return was conversational and anecdotal, not published, I know I can't write it here.

I did, however, receive an email from Ballet Alert member Marianna, who excitedly announced that "...Dastan Chinybaev (he is 19 years old) from Almaty State Ballet (Kazakhstan) has become a laureate of the International Ballet Competition in Varna, Bulgaria - in July 2004. He has won a bronze medal (third place)." Does that info qualify as published as it was sent to several people at once? :D If not, feel free to delete.

It was very frustrating not to have any news at all, except for that short Bulgarian article informing us that 137 Varna competitors had descended on the seaside resort town. I spent so much time searching the web for more to no avail!

I haven't heard from the competition, but I happen to have a Bulgarian dancer friend, and he made some inquiries and here are the winners:

Varna Winners:

I. Senior Division:

Ladies:

GOLD - Matilde Frusti (France)

SILVER - Fu Shu (China)

BRONZE - Iana Salenko (Ukraine)

Gentlemen:

GOLD - Arman Gregorian (Armenia)

SILVER - Joshua Offal (France), Juei Yan (China)

BRONZE - Dasta Chinibaev (Kazakhstan)

II. Junior Division:

Ladies:

GOLD -Yum Yunesava (Japan)

SILVER - Eri Mori (Japan), Ianela Tamioa (Cuba)

BRONZE - Shuzi Cao (China), Desislava Stoeva (Bulgaria)

Gentlemen:

GOLD - Danail Simkin (Germany)

SILVER- Alexandro Gonzales (Cuba)

BRONZE - Ivan Vasiliev (Belarus)

Warning: The spellings may be off, because he got them from a Bulgarian source (so they're Bulgarian transliterations of names).

(And thanks to Marga -- I think, in a case like this, where we're talking about who won the competition -- not the real true backstage story about who was cheated out of a medal and by whom!!! -- any news is fair game.

Warning:  The spellings may be off, because he got them from a Bulgarian source (so they're Bulgarian transliterations of names).

Yes, the spellings were off! So you haven't read my post? :D

I am happy some of you know the french candidates. Mathilde Froustey is still a coryphee as promotions usually take place in december. Bet she will become a sujet!

Edited by traviata