This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I have just finished a very disturbing but extraordinary book called "We Have to Talk about Kevin" by Lionel Shriver. WARNING: the book has very violent events so I cannot recommend it if you are as a susceptible a reader as I am. (I sometimes read something that leaves me with such a vivid mental image that I am literally sorry that I have read it.) But once I started this book, I had to read it all. The style is lucid and honest, and even occasionally funny, and every character creates a strong impression. Even the house the narrator lives in is so wonderfully described that I have a floor plan in my head of what it looked like.

I don't usually read anything that is suggested by TV book groups (this is a "Good Morning America" book) because I am usually disappointed but I received the hardback book as a recommended read from a family member who is a reliable source.

The fictional narrator is the mother of a son who commits mass murder in his high school. But this is not sensationalism for its own sake - this is a real, flawed person trying to come to grips with painful losses and trying to understand what her role was in them. It is not psycho-babble either, which is a relief. I feel like I really know the narrator as a person because she admits to less than attractive feelings some times, and there isn't a mother out there who has not at one time or other been totally exasperated with her child.

If anyone else has read this, what did you think?

Mary J, thank you for sharing your impressions. I've had that book in my hands so many times the last two months and then back off it because I don't know if it's worth those disturbing images.

But I want to read it and just needed to hear from a "real person" that it's worthwhile.

Thank you! :o