mussel

Recent Ballet Faux Pas

64 posts in this topic

I've seen a number of naughty pigeons in Ashton's Two Pigeons. At one performance in Plymouth there seemed to be three pigeons, two of whom spent most of the performance fornicating on the Paris rooftops! On the final evening a couple of years ago at the Lowry, when the pigeon flew in at the end, he landed on Chi Cao's head! Chi managed to extricate the bird from his hair and he and Ambra ended up cuddling said bird. What could have been a disaster turned into a moment of sheer romance and magic.

At a performance of Northern Ballet's Romeo, during Romeo's fatal altercation with Paris the dagger flew onto a piece of scenery out of sight and reach of Juliet. She ended up finding enough poison left in Romeo's vial to kill herself.

At a performance of Mathew Bourne's Swan Lake, the conductor's baton flew out of her hand and landed in my friend's lap!

I guess that there are far more mishaps than the audience ever realises because the dancers are so good at covering them. Well done to them all.

OMG, Rosa!!! How did that cat get there????? That made me laugh out loud!!!!

Wonderful! I love it! I wonder if it was perhaps part of the show? ;)

"chasing the big, black bird" is great!!

-d-

A surprise worth waiting for. I've always loved the pas de chat.

If Rothbart can change into an owl (?) and then human form at the Grand Ball, why not a cat as well?

If Rothbart can change into an owl (?) and then human form at the Grand Ball, why not a cat as well?

Yes, maybe it was Rothbart! LOL

Even thinking about it makes me laugh--

any idea when and where this was?

It is last month at the Mariinsky Theatre.

This isn't quite something that happened on stage.

In February this year, Birmingham Royal Ballet performed Hobson's Choice in their home theatre. I was in the front row of the stalls, sitting directly behind the conductor. In the scene where Will and Maggie are celebrating their wedding, Maggie throws her bouquet into the audience. At the performance in question the bouquet wasn't flying very far and the conductor (while still conducting!) put up his hand and caught it. He then threw it over his shoulder and it hit me full in the face! After the shock...... well I have laughed over it many times since. The bouquet stayed fresh for ages and looked lovely at home. The previous evening the bouquet landed between my friend and another chum, who insisted that my friend kept it.

This isn't quite something that happened on stage.

In February this year, Birmingham Royal Ballet performed Hobson's Choice in their home theatre. I was in the front row of the stalls, sitting directly behind the conductor. In the scene where Will and Maggie are celebrating their wedding, Maggie throws her bouquet into the audience. At the performance in question the bouquet wasn't flying very far and the conductor (while still conducting!) put up his hand and caught it. He then threw it over his shoulder and it hit me full in the face! After the shock...... well I have laughed over it many times since. The bouquet stayed fresh for ages and looked lovely at home. The previous evening the bouquet landed between my friend and another chum, who insisted that my friend kept it.

Hobson's Choice is a WONDERFUL ballet. I think it's about Bently's best work.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead