This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Zelensky presents: Svetlana Zakharova

...originally this post should have been titled: "Manon in Munich with Svetlana Zakharova and Igor Zelensky"... But I could not help but change this...

It was an enjoyable evening: Both are technically accomplished dancers, Svetlana's 6 o'clock extensions are amazing, she's incredibly young and she got along very well with Munich corps de ballet dancers. Igor Zelensky showed some beautiful arabesques and was "on", really caring for his partner.

The only (big) thing I have to criticize: Svetlana Zakharova was not Manon. I missed the coquettish (?) way - she was very young and very naive and one could not believe she realized how attractive she was to the men. Most of the time she showed her (beautiful!) princess smile - but something was missing.

Her dispair was credible, but somehow not the logic consequence of her behaviour. This Manon was only a victim of unfortunate circumstances.

She wore her own costumes - very nice and flattering in act I (light green or blue - could not see it from the distance) and quite short in last act.

Very interesting I found the curtain calls when Igor Zelensky presented her to the audience - to me it felt like: "Look, this beautiful and talented dancer I have brought to Munich!" There were lots of applause, and both seemed to have a good time. Will be interesting to see how Svetlana develops her acting abilities!

(Probably my "fault" that it was almost exactly one year ago when I saw Igor Zelensky dancing with Darcey Bussell in Manon and could not help compare their performances. Plus we had a memorable one with him guesting and partnering Lisa-Maree Cullum.)

Sonja, I'm so green with envy. How was your impression for the production overall, by the way?

I myself can't wait to see Zelensky-Zakharova doing the leads in Manon next June in London. Hope Zakharova could improve her acting abilities by then (Am I too dreamy?).

The production is from Vienna (1993, if I am not wrong) - see also my reviews of the premiere, around 20 December 2000, in balletalert, for general impressions.

Sorry that I forgot to mention supporting roles previously: Kirill Melnikov danced Lescaut better than usual (probably he wanted to show off what he is able to do) - he's just too brutal for my personal taste. Kusha Alexi, one of Munich's young first soloists, was his mistress - beautifully danced, but quite pale, I must say. I loved the rivalry of the two courtesans (Sherelle Charge and Irina Dimova) - as I love the whole ballet.

NO7, I would not put too high hopes on seeing this cast as Kirov often changes cast in last minute - but if you do, I am sure it will be interesting.

PS: Interesting, too, some opinions I found on Munich ballet blackboard: Those who posted anything there were stunned by Svetlana's technique (personally, I don't go for Manon for technique only!) - but also by her ACTING ABILITIES. Again, it's obvious that there are different tastes and opinions!