This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Ballet Austin, A Midsummer Night's Dream

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 05 January 2002 - 01:58 AM

Ballet Austin brought the first act of Stephen Mills' "A Midsummer Night's Dream" to the Kennedy Center Terrace Theatre tonight -- it's part of a series the Center has for families. LOTS of kids in the audience, a whole band of little girls who came in together, all with ribbons and sparkles in their hair. There were a lot of young elementary school children, so young (I am not making this up) they oohed when the Changeling Indian Boy came out!

I hadn't seen Mills's choreography before. There were references to both the Ashton and Balanchine versions and the vocabulary was Balanchinean. I thought the choreography for the small band of fairies (led by a kind of Head Fairy, named Cupid) was interesting; Mills' native language is ballet. The Lovers segment was very slapstick, but much of it was quite funny. There was quite a bit of mime, quite clearly delivered. The dancers are what one would expect to see in a small company -- the women better than the men (several of the men looked as though they'd gotten late starts), but most with a technical or physical flaw. (Titiana had karate arms.)

I wondered if anyone else had seen any of Mills' work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):