This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet Stars in New Bond Movie

Alexandra

The Royal thinks its hot stuff for this Bond tie-in? Let's not forget that NYCB has Barbie!

Anyway...

As a related topic, can anyone think up a good James Bond ballet? Think of it. Sex, violence and special effects. This should be his moment, balletically speaking.

This is clearly the ballet James Canfield was born for.

As for casting, who would be a good Bond? Maybe Sebastien Marcovicci. Or maybe I'd go back in time and cast George de la Pena.

It is too early in the day to consider Pussy Galore....

[This message has been edited by Manhattnik (edited April 01, 2001).]

I love Sebastien Marcovici, but he doesn't have the neccessary oomph for the Bond part, at least at this point in his career. And he's a blond - not the prototypical bond! He'd look great in the action stunts, however.

If a Bond ballet movie were being made tomorrow, I'd suggest Jock Soto.

It's funny you mention James Canfield...I studied at Oregon Ballet Theatre for a time, and was in some works he coreographed for the school. He is my favortie coreographer by far. Maybe I am just biasd but he has a way of conveying something to his audience that I havents seen in other coreographers...

I hope to dance for him some day...

James Lee

If you think the Bond piece was a great April Fool's joke, you should have seen the one Ballet.co did the year before - the subject was the newly re-discovered, detailed choreographic notes for Giselle Act III. It seems that Act II is but a drug-induced dreams (shades of the Shades), and Albrecht and Giselle elope together, travel the world in a sail boat, (if I remember correctly they are attacked by pirates, too), and witness lots of lively, international dances. I think the article says that the ballet ends with Giselle and Albrecht returning in triumph back to Giselle's hamlet and celebrating with all their friends. It doesn't mention what happens to Hilarion and Bathilde. (Perhaps she decides he's so sexy that she goes for a morganatic marriage, too.)

This type of humor is very, very British. There was the famous BBC April Fool's Day piece on the spaghetti harvest in Italy, and two year's running the Guardian did centerfolds about a country called "Sans Serif". sans Serif is located somewhere in the Indian Ocean and consists of two islands: one is round, and the other is shaped like a comma - so the general shape looks like this: ; . The articles were complete with information about the politics, the geography, the industry, tourism, education, etc. in Sans Serif. There was even a photo contest for "best holiday snaps".

I would like to hear more of the country of sans seraph, in any event I think that if we could go back in time Nuryev would probably make an excellent bond, just me though.