This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

We've reached the halfway mark

OK, we're a few days from August. Hopefully many of us have had more time for reading.

What's on your nightstand this summer? What have you finished reading this summer?

I've finished reading:

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger (thanks to Treefrog's recommendation)

Slow Motion and Family History - both of which were written by Dani Shapiro, an author I've gotten to know a bit this year. The first is her autobiography.

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien, about soldiers in Vietnam

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I'd read his other novel awhile back but never this one.

Couldn't Keep It to Myself: Testimonies From Our Imprisoned Sisters - compiled by Wally Lamb. This one's very timely because there's been a great hue and cry over the fact that one of the authors received a national writing award for a story in this volume.

Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss

and I'm in the middle of The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy

Fowler. I couldn't wait to get my hands on this book but made a deal with myself that I'd finish everything else ahead of it on my list.

On my nightstand:

The Big House by George Howe Colt

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Lost in Place by Mark Salzman

Larry's Party by Carol Shields

Refuge: An Unnatural History of Family & Place by Terry Tempest Williams

What about you folks?

Wow, vagansmom, pretty impressive list.

So far this summer I've reread 14 of Dorothy Dunnett's historical novels (Niccolo and Lymond series), and just finished Alison Weir's Eleanor of Aquitaine. I'm reading (at) Eats, Shoots & Leaves(love it!), and just found The Young Wan by Brendan O'Carroll (prequel to The Mammy, The Chisellers, and The Granny), which I didn't even know he'd written until I found it by chance yesterday. I almost bought The Jane Austen Book Club, but bought O'Carroll's book instead.

Well, I'm in the middle of "Under the Banner of Heaven" about Mormon fundamentailists, and have five shiny New Releases, fiction, from the library waiting for me on my kitchen table, too. All picked based on title, jacket, inside flap description, first paragraph. Never heard of ANY of the tiltles or authors!

My sister just finished "God's Secretaries" about the writing of the King James version of the bible - she said it is fascinating history and I love the title so much I have put that on my "soon" list.

I am wishing someone would send me Georgette Heyer books I have never read nor found because those are my cozy late night and insomnia reading.

Well, I feel unproductive compared to some of y'alls lists. Aside from the mandatory reading my school assigned us- Poisonwood Bible (loved it!) and Wuthering Heights (meh)- I've read Carlos Eire's Waiting for Snow in Havana, half of Anna Karenina and just started Pride and Prejudice.

I've read Joyce's "Dubliners" and reread his "Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man." I've also read John McWhorter's "Doing Our Own Thing: The Degradation of Language and Music and We Should, Like, Care," and have dipped into my next non-fiction read, David L. Chappell's "A Stone of Hope: Prophetic Religion and the Death of Jim Crow." Presently I'm luxuriating my way through Joyce's "Ulysses" and a stack of commentaries on it.

Let's see...

Two Anita Brookner novels: Hotel du Lac and Rules of Engagement

Jane Austen Book Club

Sense and Sensibility

Story of an African Farm by Olive Schreiner (well, the first half of it.)

On the nightstand:

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

Balanchine biography by Bernard Taper

Bel Canto

...nothing too heavy

Oh, how I envy you. You have all managed to read so many books. I have just started Marion Meade's "Eleanor of Aquitaine".

k8smom what did you think of the Weir book? and how strange to find someone on Ballet Talk who is interested in Eleanor, she certainly had an amazing life. When my family and friends saw the book it was, Eleanor who? :thumbsup:

floss, so sorry, I never saw your post until today!

I liked Weir's book, although it was more about Eleanor's family and the times than about Eleanor. There is so little actually known about her, it seems, but a lot of incorrect information and conjecture, which Weir tries to correct. It was good, though. Eleanor WAS a pretty remarkable person, wasn't she?

Should I read Marion Meade's?