This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Deaf Dancers

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:22 PM

If the deaf dancer can read lips, it is not hard to communicate in a ballet class. The teacher just has to remember to be sure and face that dancer when speaking, and not make corrections with her back turned to the dancer. If the dancer depends on sign language, it has to be done totally with demonstration and hands on work, which can be very difficult and time consuming in a more advanced situation. It seems to me that it would be quite important for a deaf student who wants to dance to learn to read lips. As long as the teacher is one who speaks clearly and uses her mouth when speaking, this will work well. The problem for deaf people who read lips is the people who speak but barely open their mouths to do so. I find this most disconcerting, even as a hearing person, and often have trouble hearing and understanding them myself.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:33 PM

But on the other side of the same coin, over-enunciating can make lip-reading (called speech-reading) more difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):