This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Where the Wild things Are

The next piece by the Colorado Ballet is based on the Mercer Mayer book "Where the Wild Things are." and I was wondering if anybody had seen it before? and if they would recomend it?

Jhora

Just a quick correction: the book is by Maurice Sendak, not Mercer Mayer. It's a well-known children's book, about a boy's imagined adventures. I haven't seen the ballet, so wouldn't know whether to recommend it or not. If you see it, please let us know what it was like!

An interesting side note, Sendak did the set designs for Pacific Northwest Ballet's "Nutcracker" (their current production, and one that was released as a movie quite a few years back).

I saw it. I can't be very encouraging, I'm afraid. I remember it as a lot of clowning around -- great costumes, though. It's quite different from the book, I was told, by a dissatisfied mother, who felt that the added scenes detracted from the main point of the book.

I've seen "The Wild Thing's" and enjoyed it very much-I'd compare it to the movie"The Royal Tennanbaums" meaning it's way out there!Visually amazing with absolutely huge,dancing figures,and the score made me giggle-it depends what you like.I found it very fresh(like Septime Webre).Different-certainly check it out. wink.gif

Wow I didnt know how wide spread the production was! Sorry about the mercer mayer thing, I work in a daycare so thousands of childs book authors cloud my head making discerning different ones sometimes very confusing. In any event, I will be sure to tell you all about it, in march though, thats when it opens here.

sorry about this double reply thing, but in regards to a post on mens stature in the ballet, I believe the role of the boy has gone to koichi kubo (sp?) who isnt exactly Abe Lincoln. I believe this will help in playing a child