This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In a nutshell:

Wu Haiyan as Giselle made me cry. She nailed the "intangible" - "becoming tangible" - "she's all here" development that I think the role requires. She (and in no small amount aided by her partner, Mikhail) appeared weightless and made her work look free of effort; Danny Tidwell flat out stole the show as Acteon. Leaps and control such as I have never seen. His contemporary piece brought gasps and thunderous applause as well; the home team was Kathy Thibodeaux and her Ballet Magnificat! She has a company of dancers that are very well rehersed and very well trained. I enjoyed her choreography and I enjoyed the precision of the corps. I just don't know if I could sit through an evening of her "message" so an excerpt of the company rep was good enough for me. Just a personal preference; Sarah Lamb fumbled a bit as as Odile but brought it all home as Diana. She has such a beautiful line and a dignified princess air. As Diana she seemed to let a bit more playfulness shine - as I like my Diana. I like to see a bit more heat, passion, and flirt in my Black Swan; Joseph Phillips was the "Classical Ballet Variation Male" of the evening - who we didn't see enough of. He was wonderful in both variations (La Bayadere and Grand); Rasta Thomas was the Crown Prince, beloved by all. He brought two contemporary pieces. In the first I recognized martial arts movements - I understand he is a Bruce Lee fan. The audience loves him and he seemed very 'at-home' in Jackson; the Ball siblings provided comic relief with "Mostly Mozart". They made it look so easy. It was fun to watch and delighted my ballet novice friend. My only complaint was with April Ball's long skirt. You couldn't see some of the interesting aspects of the choreography. I thought I saw some 'classical ballet movement - antethesis of the classical ballet movement' going on and the skirt hid that; I wish Irina had brought more than "Dying Swan". I'm following Flower's advice any further re: her interpretation, moving on; enjoyed Katia and (her husband - Miami City Ballet dancer, I forgot my program this morning and I cannot, for the love of the divine, remember his name) but wished for a bit more crisp and polish in the Stars and Stripes pas; "Caught" the show closer was striking. It taught you to appreciate the lighting director as well as the dancer and the clever choreographer (David Parsons).

A note about the Jackson audience. These people know their ballet. At home, surrounded by the usuals (aw shucks, let's go to the ballet - I've never seen one) I have to grit my teeth with the inappropriate clapping and exclaiming. I was in complete agreement with the Jackson audience. When they wanted to clap, I wanted to clap. When they thought a "bravo" or "brava" was warranted, I thought a "bravo" or "brava" was warranted (and they knew the difference!) I felt like I was surrounded by true ballet fans.

My ballet dollars were very well spent, and I now have a convert on my hands. My friend was amazed and entranced. I looked over at her during Wu's Giselle and saw that look on her face that I must have had at my first ballet - when I fell in love with it all.

I remembered to bring my program, so for anyone interested, and (disclaimer ...) according to the program;

Wu Haiyan and Mikhail Ilyin - Giselle, Pas, Act II

Wu was a Senior Gold Medal winner in 2002, Mikhail took Senior Bronze. Both are now with Miami City Ballet

Katia Carranza and Luis Serrano performed the Stars & Stripes Pas. Katia won Senior Bronze in 2002 and Luiz won Senior Bronze in 1998. Both are with Miami City Ballet

Joseph Phillips won Junior Gold in 2002 and is now with San Francisco Ballet.

It was announced that Sarah Lamb (winner of Senior Silver in 2002, performed Black Swan Act III Variation and Diana & Acteon Pas w/ Danny Tidwell) is now with the Royal Ballet. (Danny Tidwell won Junior Silver in 2002 and is now with ABT)

The dancer who performed "Caught" by David Parsons was Marty Lawson