This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Northern Ballet Theatre

Has anyone out there seen Desire Samai? I have rather a personal interest in her, as she trained at the same school that I used to train at. She was a principal dancer with Cape Town City Ballet for a while, and now she is a junior principal(I believe) at the Northern Ballet Theatre. I would be interested what sort of impression she makes on any of you who have seen her.

Desire Samaii continues to be one of the leading dancers with NBT. She's an incredibly expressive dancer, with balances to die for. She created the role of Titania in David Nixon's Midsummer Night's Dream, and is a truly magnificent Butterfly. One of the works I enjoyed her in most is Lambarena where she set the stage alight with her joyful dancing.

she set the stage alight with her joyful dancing

Thank you, JMcN, for reporting on Desire's dancing. I remember her best as a joyful dancer - I remember her first principal role was that of Gerda in Veronica Paeper's Snow Queen, with Cape Town City Ballet. She immediately made her mark as a delightful, musical and expressive young dancer. I'm delighted to hear that she continues to make headway in her career. Please continue reporting on her!