This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

In 1954, I saw "On the Waterfront" roughly a dozen times. I thought then, and still do, that Brando's Terry Malloy was the best screen performance I'd ever seen. I loved everything about the movie, including Eva Marie Saint, Rod Steiger, Karl Malden, and the Leonard Bernstein score. The most quoted line from it is "I coulda been a contender." But my own favorite I suppose reflected my East Harlem upbringing: "I don't like the country. The crickets make me noivous."

Marlon Brando wasn't a contender. He was the champ.

A very great loss indeed. But then we must remember that he had reached an old age, and from what I have gathered, his last years were not in splendour. Having recently lost my mother (at 94) I have realised that longivety is not something to strive for.

A few years ago here there used to be a question in interwieving people: "How do you want to die?" Stupid, OK, but a lot of people answered: "Alive".

Indeed, to just waste away or wither away, my mother weighed 70 lbs...

Yet, it feels like a great loss, the wonderful guy of my youth, I had his portrait pasted inside my closet door (Elvis was there too).

Now they are all gone, Rudi, Margot, Svetlana, Elvis, Marlon, (the people I mourn),

we must not here forget Ray Charles whose performances I attended. I am beginning to feel as old as Methusalem (which I probably am, sad to say).

Well, that is life...