This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Marlon Brando1924-2004

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:04 AM

In 1954, I saw "On the Waterfront" roughly a dozen times. I thought then, and still do, that Brando's Terry Malloy was the best screen performance I'd ever seen. I loved everything about the movie, including Eva Marie Saint, Rod Steiger, Karl Malden, and the Leonard Bernstein score. The most quoted line from it is "I coulda been a contender." But my own favorite I suppose reflected my East Harlem upbringing: "I don't like the country. The crickets make me noivous."

Marlon Brando wasn't a contender. He was the champ.

#2 klingsor

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:54 AM

Rest In Peace, Marlon.

My favorite Brando line:

Girl: What're you rebelling against, Johnny?
Johnny: Whaddya got?

#3 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 02:39 PM

A very great loss indeed. But then we must remember that he had reached an old age, and from what I have gathered, his last years were not in splendour. Having recently lost my mother (at 94) I have realised that longivety is not something to strive for.
A few years ago here there used to be a question in interwieving people: "How do you want to die?" Stupid, OK, but a lot of people answered: "Alive".
Indeed, to just waste away or wither away, my mother weighed 70 lbs...
Yet, it feels like a great loss, the wonderful guy of my youth, I had his portrait pasted inside my closet door (Elvis was there too).
Now they are all gone, Rudi, Margot, Svetlana, Elvis, Marlon, (the people I mourn),
we must not here forget Ray Charles whose performances I attended. I am beginning to feel as old as Methusalem (which I probably am, sad to say).
Well, that is life...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):