This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Boston Ballet: American Trilogy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 03:55 PM

Thanks very much for posting these reviews (and for the explanation of Wheeldon's title, bbfan).

jbtlse and bijoux -- good to read you again.

I hope you'll keep us up to date on Boston Ballet news -- there's never a dull moment in Boston, it seems smile.gif -- and that you'll post about the May performances, too.

#17 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 21 March 2002 - 09:06 PM

Also, "Ecstasy" deserves a little time here, too, besides "Corybantic". "Ecstasy" is an outreach of energy from a being to a source, and is differentiated from "Enthusiasm" thereby. In enthusiasm (lit. en-theos "God within") the source inhabits the being and its energy is manifested that way. smile.gif

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 29 March 2002 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for all these wonderful posts -- I feel almost like I was there.

Y'all got something going in Boston....

It also makes me miss both Mikko Nissinen -- we'll never forget what a beautiful dancer he was when he was here in San Francisco, sort of like Helgi Tomason all over again with blond hair.... And Jose Martin, what a thrilling dancer....

And thanks for posting the Phoenix review -- Good Lord, what a good paper that must be. Marcia B Siegel is a great critic, (though maybe she was better on Mark Morris's "V" than she was on Wheeldon',s piece, maybe it gave her more to think about -- in any case, I'm grateful to her, she always gives ME something to hink about) and the sidebar follow-up on later performances by Jeffrey Gantz is fascinating, too -- esp his notion that ballet-orchestra performances of "concert" works can be more revealing than "famous-orchestra" versoins. It reminds me, after hearing Constant Lambert's recording of the Overture to GIselle -- my GOD< what a great interpretation that was -- made me want to hear him conduct Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony, AND the 7th......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):