This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Bolshoi Ballet - London Season

Guest Riccardo

Guest Riccardo

Has anyone noticed the crazy prices for the Bolshoi's upcoming London Season at the ROH? Maybe that explains why less than a month before the start, you can still get tickets at almost every price for virtually every performance. Mind you, who would be crazy enough to spend £76 ($137) on a Balcony seat and £105 ($190) on a stalls seat? This is only a three week season, half what you would normally expect for a London season by the Bolshoi. I haven't booked yet much as I'd like to update my knowledge of the Bolshoi - in this situation there are bound to be late offers at low prices. :wink:

This may be totally off the mark, but here goes. Covent Garden is a great deal smaller than a lot of the opera houses etc that big touring companies like the Bolshoi normally appear in, right? Would lthis have anything to do with the types of prices they feel they have to charge? (fewer seats, etc.)

Guest Riccardo

Hi Mme. Hermine

Covent Garden has 2300 seats so it is the same size as similar, lyric houses. Prices on previous visits by the Bolshoi to London have been nowhere near as high. £75 ($135) for best seats last time around was already considered too much for the market to bear. Now they are fifty percent higher and what's more, there are no pre-bookable seats under £27 ($48) and these are right at the back of the Gods. Les Enfants du Paradis won't be very happy about that!

To be fair, though, the £105 tickets are for a limited number of 'super seats', which buys you champagne and smoked salmon and a souvenir programme as well. The top price for 'normal' seats is actually less than the Royal Ballet charged for Cinderella this season. But I do agree that the cheaper seats are more expensive, if you see what I mean, and the standing is also much dearer than normal.

u :Dhttp:

[*]don quixote ndefined i took a friend to roh to see bolshoi in don quixote cost £80 a ticket she really enjoyed it , but i felt let down as the famous dance duel between basil and matador was missing. I understand it was a different production but for that price i except something a little special.Also the Bolshoi is constantly playing to the gallery, just like a cheap cabaret and debasing itself when it doesent need to .What do you think?

Hi, Ella! Welcome to Ballet Alert!

I've copied your post over to the Bolshoi Ballet forum, where we have a discussion of the London season going on. (It will appear under my name and not yours -- sorry for the confusion -- but merging one post into a thread and then letting the poster know it's been done is difficult!)

Here's the thread:

http://balletalert.com/forum/index.php?sho...ic=15255&st=15&