This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I am currently choreographing William Walton´s "The Wise Virgins". The original ballet has been danced by Margot Fonteyn, however, the choreography and the story-line got completely lost. I am re-inventing the story-line, and testing the creative limits of the dancers, though I would be grateful if anybody has an idea of the original choreography. :rolleyes:

LDS, are you talking about Ashton's ballet? If so, there is quite a long description of it, with pictures, in David Vaughan's biography of the choreographer; and the Bride's solo was danced by Fonteyn at the Ashton gala in 1970, and also given by the Ballet for All group in the 1970s - so some posters may have seen it. (The solo is described as consisting mostly of 'gestures and arm movements, soutenu turns and kneels', and many people thought it was influenced by Hindu dancing; but Ashton said it came from his observation of Baroque art.)

You are right, it was last performed in the 1940s - and it had 9 tracks of music, 3 of them are lost, which makes now around 20 minutes of ballet. I have a cast of 3 girls and 1 guy. Rehearsals will start tomorrow and the story-line will be created within the rehearsal space as part of my research in creativity. There will be a lot of "gestures and arm movements" - music is very slow and baroque-like. I have hired a mime teacher to train some gestures and facial expression. :-)