Most Handsome Male Dancer(s)

• Please log in to reply
213 replies to this topic

#121 joannaA

joannaA

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:53 AM

Mashinka - I think you're probably right - Now where is my Danish phrase-book ?!
Oh but they all speak better English than I, don't they !

But really I should visit there anyway to see the company as I've never seen them perform live.

Thanks also to Bart - I've tried unsuccessfully to reply to your recent post , sorry, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong - but anyhow, I agree with your thoughts on seemingly beautiful, but in reality rather vacuous looks.

Many factors, not least personality and radiance, contribute to the impact of a good-looking person.

Joanna, if it’s handsome male dancers that ring your bell I’d suggest you shouldn’t just visit Copenhagen but emigrate there! I was in that city only a couple of weeks ago and can confirm the RDB males are as gorgeous as ever.

#122 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 07:35 PM

Can i keep adding names to this list...? ( I voted already.. :clapping:)
Well, let's assume a "yes" as an answer, so in that case:

POB Roberto Bolle
RB Federico Bonelli
(both italians, BTW. Happy dancerboy...?)

#123 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

After spending nearly two weeks observing in close proximity: onstage and off, in good times (with family, colleagues, and friends) and bad (after a somewhat serious injury which I was informed also causes a "bad mood"--if so, I never saw it), I can only agree with the opinion of many on this board, that looks and phenomenal technique (and he is famous for them as well) do not make a man. But as bart said, "manner, way of relating to others, [and] smile"; and I'll add: the thoughtfulness, care, and generousity of spirit I experienced. Merci, gracias, spessibo, domo arrigato, thank you.

#124 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 10:07 PM

Nobody has mentioned Marian Walter, of hte Berlin Staatsoper Ballett, who's bowled me over with a youtube clip. Sleeping Beauty, yet.

First of all, the whole is greater than the sum of the parts -- it's the way he and his wife Ianna Solenko dance together that wins my heart, and hte moving pictures they make together compose so harmoniously they may have converted me. Their way of dancing this performance of Sleeping Beauty grand pas may have reconciled me to high legs and a modern way of dancing this pas.

They're BOTH examples of the tiny-headed, long-necked, long-limbed "mannerist" -- cf Bronzino or Pontormo-- shaped bodies that are so fashionable now, and his proportions are even more exaggerated than hers -- his head is smaller maybe than Adam Luders's, and that's going some distance -- but his face fits his head as if by magic, and his expressions are legible and intelligent and ATTENTIVE TO HIS PARTNER. His attentions to her are so endearing, he stands in fifth as a tribute to her -- and when he promenades her, his steps are like a race-horse's. These are FABULOUS qualities of courtliness and they look innate (though perhaps Malakhov has been coaching him? for certainly Malakhov has these qualities, too). When he offers his hand, he invites her with his eyes to accept. It is so romantic, you'd think it dcouldn't go down in Sleeping Beauty -- except it IS Sleeping Beauty, and he is the desired one.

Finally, I must say, I love his thighs. Ib Andersen had thighs like that, though not on such long legs. Like a grasshopper's, or a race-horse's, such a noble shape, made for jumping -- such a body makes all the unreasonablenesses of ballet disappear -- it looks natural to push off and land through the toe with legs like that, and with such deep reserves of strength and cushion in the thigh.

#125 Mary Lynn Slayden

Mary Lynn Slayden

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 11:43 AM

I know the topic is Most Handsome Male Dancer but I wish to name Choreographer/AD Trey McIntyre as a tall,
all-American strikingly good looking guy...he was a dancer too. I hear he has charm, wit and an incredible good sense of humor.
His ballet's certainly do.

#126 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:25 PM

..... and he is famous for them as well) do not make the man. But as bart said, "manner, way of relating to others, [and] smile"; and I'll add: the thoughtfulness, care, and generousity of spirit I experienced. Merci, gracias, spessibo, thank you.

Your post makes me wonder to whom you are alluding? I read back through the thread and am perplexed as to the identity of the dancer you mention. Could you reveal his name? :)

#127 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 05:27 PM

..... and he is famous for them as well) do not make the man. But as bart said, "manner, way of relating to others, [and] smile"; and I'll add: the thoughtfulness, care, and generousity of spirit I experienced. Merci, gracias, spessibo, thank you.

Your post makes me wonder to whom you are alluding? I read back through the thread and am perplexed as to the identity of the dancer you mention. Could you reveal his name? :)

Marga, i just guided your hands to type this question..
now, the answer, please!

#128 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 21 February 2008 - 05:54 PM

Ah, but what I posted both times on this thread could be applied generically to ALL (dancers or not) who have shown they are much more than 'a handsome face'. That is, "who" they are, is never as important as "how" they are, which was my point.

And I do apologise to those who have asked, but until certain other issues are negotiated, I am not at liberty to say who it is, other than to acknowledge his proof of the above thesis and my gratitude.

#129 easymemo

easymemo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:02 AM

Helgi Tomasson, Anthony Dowell, Nikolaj Hubbe . . .

Anthony Dowell is a good dancer.... but handsome? Probably not. Orlando Salgado in his time (1970's) Ballet Nacional de Cuba is the picture of a beautiful male dancer.

#130 Old Trock

Old Trock

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:16 AM

Orlando Sarabia

#131 Old Trock

Old Trock

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:18 AM

Orlando Sarabia

I mean ROLANDO Sarabia. And what a turner.

Of course, I was trained by Igor Youskevitch and even in his sixties, he was a hottie.

#132 Old Trock

Old Trock

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:31 AM

On the basis of the photo of Leon Danielian recently posted by RG ( partnering Mary Ellen Moylan, if I remember right), oh my God, what a hot guy.

and Youskevitch in the next photograph, what a thoughtful, sensitive, handsome man. Like a horse or a dog, almost, so beautiful, so present, so intelligent, so alive.

I studied with both of those men. They were very different!

#133 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

Old Trock, I have to agree about Rolando Sarabia, whom I've seen a few times with MCB. (I was sorry to miss him in a jazz program they put on in their studios in Miami Beach). In the right mood and with the right partner, he smolders. The on-stage changes he has brought about in a couple of his partners since arriving on MCB are quite astonishing!

And, welcome to Ballet Talk. When it comes to style, wit, attitude, theatrical excitement and devotion to the traditions and perfume of classical ballet, I put the Trocks right up there with the Bolshoi. :bow:

#134 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:53 PM

Helgi Tomasson, Anthony Dowell, Nikolaj Hubbe . . .

Anthony Dowell is a good dancer.... but handsome? Probably not. Orlando Salgado in his time (1970's) Ballet Nacional de Cuba is the picture of a beautiful male dancer.

Aha...! Yes...you're totally right, he along with Fernandito (Jhones, -RIP-)...
agree?

#135 printscess

printscess

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 February 2008 - 08:34 AM

Can i keep adding names to this list...? ( I voted already.. :smilie_mondieu:)
Well, let's assume a "yes" as an answer, so in that case:

POB Roberto Bolle
RB Federico Bonelli
(both italians, BTW. Happy dancerboy...?)

How could I ever have forgotten Jose Manuel Correno? (sorry, my key board doesn't have the Spanish tilda for the N). Now I am sure you are happy Crisitan!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):