This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Most Handsome Male Dancer(s)

• Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#106 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:21 AM

Veering OT, but . . .
Beauty and glamour are not the same thing. Maybe Rockwell was bemoaning the fact that our ballerinas do not leave the theater dressed in eveningwear and big jewels? But we have no lack of glamour on stage. Lack of mystique possibly, but that's not glamour.

And regarding inner beauty, see printscess' little tribute to Peter Boal and ViolinConcerto's reply on another thread from yesterday. Printscess speaks of qualities that we inferred from Boal's performing persona.

Anyone who has (and has had) the honor to be taught by Peter Boal, will have been taught by a caring, gentle man who is a true artist. He values the talents and feelings of his students. PNB is lucky to have him. SAB and NYCB lost a wonderful talent and a wonderful human being.

We know.

:FIREdevil:

#107 ggobob

ggobob

• PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 22 September 2007 - 05:58 AM

Reading the earlier posts set me to thinking of the first dancer who stunned me with his looks..it was Victor Barbee when he was in ABT's corps almost thirty years ago. But back then the corps also had the presence of Frank Smith and Richard Schaefer and George de la Pena.

Thought serendipity takes me to other names mentioned the Danes: Peter Schaufuss, Ib Anderson, Arne Vilumsen, and names not mentioned: the RB's Jonathan Cope, Stephen Jefferies, Julian Hosking,David Wall, and Stephen Beagley; Hamburg's Keven Haigen

But time moves on and I can't quibble that Jared Mathews, Gonzalo Garcia, and Craig Salstein along with Marcelo Gomes propel the US standard forward, maybe Jeff Golladay will join them if his stage time grows... then last night watching Mark Morris's Mozart Dances, a 2nd act entrance became a breeze carrying Noah Vinson into the conversation and brought memories of Mathew Rose's time with Morris and those incredible Paul Taylor dancers Chris Gillis, David Parsons, Danny Ezralow...

Whoa...I am experiencing overload...if I must choose one, it would remain Victor Barbee - once a handsome and glorious youth who is a handsome 53 year old still gracing the stage...and, then (see I can't stop myself) I would find away to honor the beauty of Julian Hosking who died so very young.

#108 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

Many of my candidates have already been named, but having just watched the recent DVD set of Hans van Manen ballets, I can't believe I neglected to nominate Alexander Zhembrovskyy of the Dutch National Ballet.

#109 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 06:57 PM

Reading the earlier posts set me to thinking of the first dancer who stunned me with his looks..it was Victor Barbee when he was in ABT's corps almost thirty years ago. But back then the corps also had the presence of Frank Smith and Richard Schaefer and George de la Pena.

I knew George de la Pena years ago. He was the sweetest guy in the world. Where is he now? I know off topic.

#110 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,272 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

From the past George Zuritch and Vladimir Vasiliev
From the present Jose Manuel Carreno and Carlos Acosta.

#111 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 04:44 AM

of classical dancers, I'd say manuel legris, who's always marvellous-=looking no matter whathte role -- and he looks different from role to role; and Jaime Garcia Castillo of SFB, who's beautifully made and also has a noble, elegant, pure way of using his physique. Among modern dancers, David Leventhal (of hte Mark Morris Dance Company) is always beautiful.

#112 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 01:56 AM

Mathieu Ganio :wub:

#113 chrisk217

chrisk217

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 04:02 AM

Considering only how beautiful one is, not how beautifully he dances, I think Roberto Bolle is the most handsome dancer:

http://www.robertobolle.com

Andrian Fadeyev is very good looking too.

#114 87Sigfried87

87Sigfried87

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 November 2007 - 02:00 AM

If You mean Aestethically talking,not talking about the beauty on stage,which is very different,you can't omit Roberto Bolle,our Italian étoile.I've never met a male dancer as beautiful as he is,also out of the stage.Anyway i've always seen many ugly male dancers.The majority of the great ones is so.Then on stage you'd say they're wonderful,but out of the stage...no way!Let's talk also about the girls;i'm more concerned about;-)....Ferri is as beautiful on stage as ugly off the stage.Guillem the same.Zakharova is a nice girl also in the common life...the same for Ansanelliand Lacarra....oh Lacarra is so beautiful!!!!

#115 YID

YID

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 12:33 PM

Andrian Fadeyev is very good looking too.

+1000% ;-))
I not only like his looks but the way he dances (I used to go to watch particular balerinas, but after seeing Andrian several times - I just adore him and would sure try to see as many of his shows this coming April as possible....)
a bit off topic - Andrian is also a great GENTLEMAN, once attending a Giselle performance in DC (in '05), i saw a very handsome, tall, slim, and a bit humble guy volunteer his perfect (fron rows) seat to a woman and taking a seat in far back rows. He looked familiar, back home and double-checking the Kirov's site - sure it was Andrian Fadeyev. I saw him in Romeo & Juliet twice this winter in DC as well. For me - he's the perfect Romeo ;-))

#116 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

• PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

I have to put my two cents in for the Martin brothers, Ruben (at SFB) and Moises (in Amsterdam). The joke in the audience when Moises Martin and Sarah Van Patten did Robbins' Afternoon of a Faun a few years ago, was that it looked like a moving Abercrombie and Fitch photo. They really didn't have to move!

#117 joannaA

joannaA

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:32 AM

This has been so interesting to read and I now must
a) look at some photos of those dancers I'm not familiar with
and

b) get me to Copenhagen methinks !

But seriously, I agree with many of the names mentioned , and with the fact that on/off stage impact can be very different - and rightly so - the 'magic' of a performer on stage can illuminate and heighten his or her looks.

However, Nureyev IMHO had a charismatic personality and was very attractive both on and off stage .

I hope this isn't veering off topic, but someone mentioned manners and I've seen Thoma Edur (he's rather handsome too, I think) behave very charmingly to a fellow member of the audience 'out front' at the Albert Hall on one occasion. Lovely to witness.

#118 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• 7,320 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 12:24 PM

I hope this isn't veering off topic, but someone mentioned manners and I've seen Thoma Edur (he's rather handsome too, I think) behave very charmingly to a fellow member of the audience 'out front' at the Albert Hall on one occasion. Lovely to witness.

Sounds beautiful to me! One's manner, one's way of relating to others, one's smile: in real life these play a huge role in defining what I experience as "beautiful."

On the other hand, many of us have probably had the opportunity of seeing a famous beauty in person -- males and females whose photographs or films made them appear stunningly beautiful -- only to find qualities of deadness or restlessness in the eyes, petulance in the lips, and a general look of tension, dissatisfaction, boredom, vacancy or whatever. Fashion models seem especially prone to this.

Any other nominations for dancers who are exceptionally "beautiful" in the sense JoannA describes?

#119 balletgirl22sk

balletgirl22sk

• PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 02:26 PM

I think Ivan Nagy was one of the most handsome dancers in ABT in the 70's. He was a brilliant dancer too!

#120 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 30 November 2007 - 02:09 AM

Joanna, if it’s handsome male dancers that ring your bell I’d suggest you shouldn’t just visit Copenhagen but emigrate there! I was in that city only a couple of weeks ago and can confirm the RDB males are as gorgeous as ever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):